selling soap by weight

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crocoturtle

Reaction score
How do shops/sellers get away with selling soap unlabeled by weight? Do you just have to have a sign up saying that it is soap?
I see these tables at the supermarket, wholefoods and flea markets where sellers just have the soap out unwrapped.

I would guess they just write the weight and dollar amount on a recipe and then they take it to the check out and pay. You don't need to wrap soap if you don't want, but I don't like to buy naked bars myself.

No I'm saying the CPSC regulations say that a soap must be labeled with "soap" the place it was made and the weight. So how can you sell it without a label?

From what I have seen, if someone at a Farmers Market wants to sell "naked" soap, they would have a bunch of ingredient sheets printed out and stick it in the bag with all the information. I have seen people do it but would not be comfortable with this myself. I do however sell soap balls that are not labeled but those are just for my regular customers who are gonna use the soap themselves.

This is what I know: I you want to sell your soap by weight, i.e. "Lush" you need to have a set price, for example $1 per oz. and a scale that is registered and inspected/caliberated every so often. Usually, its done by Department of Agriculture or Department of Consumer Affairs (i.e New York City)

And you don't need to provide ingredients for your soap unless you're claiming that it does other things to skin besides just cleansing it. Then it becomes cosmetic/drug.

At the Whole Foods by me - they sell bars by weight ($xx per pound), but the bars are not wrapped or labeled. There is a poster with the maker's information and location by the display. You can either take one of the cut bars, put it in the labeled and barcoded glassine bags and take it to the checkout. You can also find an employee to cut you a fresh bar from the loaf - any size you want. And there is a scale if you want to weigh it. No specific ingredients are listed.

Latest posts

Back