Seeking Input On First Bathbomb Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taboo

Reaction score
It's a little bit of everything, and a also a confused mess. But do you think it's worth trying or does something seem too terribly off?

Dry Mix:
2 Cup Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Corn Starch
1 Cup Citric Acid
1/4 Cup Epsom Salt

Wet Mix:
1 Tbs Melted Shea Butter
1 Tbs Olive Oil
2 Tsp Fragrance Oil

I don't use cornstarch in my bathbombs. Here is a recipe that I love. If you don't want to use Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, you can use 1/4 cup more sodium bicarbonate instead.

No Fail Bathbombs

1 cup Citric Acid (7.4 ounces)
2 cups Sodium Bicarbonate (17.3 ounces)
¼ cup of Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate (1.6 ounces)
¼ cup Cream of Tartar (1.4 ounces)
½ cup melted Deodorized Cocoa Butter (3.2 ounces)
1 tsp essential oil (0.12 ounces)

Source: http://library.essentialwholesale.c...outube-diy-no-fail-foaming-bath-bombs-recipe/

That's actually proportionally very similar to my recipe. I use a few different ingredients, but I think you'll be pretty happy with the results

The proportions are pretty spot on to several I've tried and had good results with. My personal recipe uses SLSA and Poly 80 with mango butter as my carrier oil. I don't bother with Corn Starch or Epson Salts (unless I'm using colored salts to decorate).

I think you'll like the recipe though. Bath Bombs are fun to tweak since the "disasters" can still be chunked into the tub and "taken away"!

If you want foaming bubbles, use SLSA.
If you want to emulsify the oils into the water instead of floating onto the tub sides, use Poly 80.
If you want more skin loving goodies like espon salts, powdered milks, or oatmeal, chunk them in.
If your fragrance is fading, incorporate it into modified tapioca starch or a little clay to anchor it in the bomb.

One word of caution, friends and family will absolutely drive you bonkers wanting more. How many baths can one person take?!?!

Thanks for all the answers! Right now this is just a hobby so I can't really afford to buy toooo many extra ingredients other than special occasions or when I have extra money on hand, but I'll keep all the suggestions given in mind and on note. I would like to try SLSA someday but I already had some cornstarch so I figured I'd try that first, oatmeal sounds like it'd be fun to mess with someday too.

So far the consensus seems to be pretty 'Won't explode and kick your dog', so I guess all I have to do is wait till I have all my supplies tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks!

Edit:
Does anyone know of a very true, ozone-y snow fragrance?

Last edited:
Ohhh, imagining it together, yeah I could see that. I'll have to give that a try in the future, thanks.

Latest posts

Back