Seawater instead of freshwater

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roisin

Reaction score
Hi all,
I was wondering what the difference in using fresh seawater compared to fresh water is in making cp soap?
I am luckily enough to live by the sea and was hoping to use seawater instead of freshwater in my soaps.
Any ideas or tips?
Thanks
Róisín

I've never used anything but distilled water. So what I'm saying will be parroting some things I've read / found.

Sources of water other than distilled carry impurities. These could be minerals or metals or chemicals. The problem with these is that, while it will work to technically produce soap, the impurities can negatively react during saponification. This could cause discoloration, scent morphing, potentially DOS, overheating, etc. In short: you typically get less consistent results with water options that aren't distilled because the specific composition of the impurities in your water fluctuates.

Can it be done? Most probably. Will it be frustrating from batch to batch? I would assume so?

Latest posts

Back