Scorched goats milk

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenniffer

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am making a batch of goats milk and honey soap and I guess I got too impatient pouring my lye into my goats milk and it scorched! Strong ammonia smell and orange color. How can I dispose of this? Can I pour it down the kitchen sink?

@Jennifer, the orange is from the honey and is quite normal - the colour will reduce over the next few days. To lower the heat from the honey in your next batch, you could use Irish Lass's technique of adding the honey to the cooled lye water (it will go orange and heat back up again - soap once it's cooled again).

The ammonia smell from the goats milk will also reduce during the cure.

It might be worth keeping the soap for a couple of weeks to see if it settles down and the smell and colour cures out.

@Jennifer, the orange is from the honey and is quite normal - the colour will reduce over the next few days. To lower the heat from the honey in your next batch, you could use Irish Lass's technique of adding the honey to the cooled lye water (it will go orange and heat back up again - soap once it's cooled again).

The ammonia smell from the goats milk will also reduce during the cure.

It might be worth keeping the soap for a couple of weeks to see if it settles down and the smell and colour cures out.

Thank you SaltedFig. I have made this soap before but never smelt the strong ammonia. I usually put the milk in an ice bath and this time I didn’t so I thought for sure I ruined it. I will go ahead and mix it up and see how it turns out. Thanks again for your advice. I will definitely look up the Irish Lass’s technique, thank you for the reference.

Latest posts

Back