scenting rebatch?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
What is the recommended amount of FO for rebatch? I have 2 lbs in the crockpot and will be using NG's bay rum.
1lb of the rebatch is gamey deer tallow soap and I want to make sure its covered without being over scented.

How much scent is already in the soap? Unfortunately even if the fragrance burns off, it can still be an irritant, and what is in there plus what you add should not exceed the manufacturer's guidelines. Now having said that, since you are rebatching a little FO will go a long way, so you will probably be fine with covering the smell with just a small amount. If the rebatch was unscented then 3% would be plenty.

As an aside, how do you like NG's bay rum? It is on my list to try.

I LOVE NG's Bay Rum FO, and it has been a hit with the men. Funny, I made quite a lot of it several years ago and detested it. Revisited it again in the fall, and fell in love with it. I like to scent beer soap with it for a really nice manly scent that retains some of the hoppy fragrance of the beer.

I'm not too sure how much I like it, it almost seems too pine treeish. I'm really hoping that it will change some and the other scents will come out more. OOB all I smell is pine and a little orange, no spices at all.

There is maybe .50 oz of scent in the rebatch, a light cucumber mint. It actually covered quite a lot of the gamey scent already so I don't think I'll need much of the bay rum, maybe another .50 oz

I LOVE NG's Bay Rum FO, and it has been a hit with the men. Funny, I made quite a lot of it several years ago and detested it. Revisited it again in the fall, and fell in love with it. I like to scent beer soap with it for a really nice manly scent that retains some of the hoppy fragrance of the beer.

Thanks, bay rum beer bars sound awesome... off to shop!

Back