How much vanilla content before you need a stabilizer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all -
At what percent of vanilla in a FO, do you need a stabilizer to prevent discoloration? 0.5% is in a FO I want to use without discoloring. I have to buy a VCS, anyone have recommendations? BB says theirs is only for M&P, and others have reviews saying it changes the FO scent. Help?

I’ve had some fragrance oils with 1% vanillin not turn at all and others that went tan to dark brown. I read the reviews to determine if I want to use vanillin stabilizer. I would honestly just work with the discoloration or use titanium dioxide to help keep it as light as possible.

To answer the first question...I think some of that is going to depend on your recipe. As noted by @AliensrReal, I've gotten mixed results from smaller amounts of Vanilla too so I [mostly] always purchase a small amount of FO (1 oz or less) and then make a test batch of soap and then let it fully cure. The later is important as the discoloration doesn't always fully develop for a few weeks.

I tend to embrace the brown unless I have a specific design in mind...like Autumn Harvest. It discolors to a dark brown, but I want to have red, yellow, orange, green and so I use varying amounts of my ZVCS to achieve the colors I want. Sometimes I can just use a bit of TD in the whole or part of the batter for a nice swirl.

Instead of purchasing a VCS, you can make your own...just search for ZVCS; I make mine with Distilled Water and Sodium Metabisulfite. I purchased it from Amazon and a 1lb bag for $10 lasts a long time.

I agree with @TheGecko about it depending on your recipe... My recipe rarely discolors from the vanillin in the fragrances...
In my first all vanilla scented soap, I purposely put TD in a portion and a medium brown in another portion to work a swirl that would hopefully show for at least a little while since it was supposed to all become dark brown... I saved a bar... its been over a year and it looks exactly like the day I made it...

Thanks everyone. I made a soap that I knew discolors, and used TD in hopes of combating some of it - good results that time and that FO has over 5% vanillin.
This next one was Dragons Blood by FB at under 2% vanillin, which didn’t say much to warn me in the reviews (my review does for the next soaper!) so I used TD and micas and hoped for the best. Here’s before and after, which is why I asked before using the next one with the 0.5 vanillin. 😊
IMG_1791.jpegIMG_4985.jpeg

Thanks everyone. I made a soap that I knew discolors, and used TD in hopes of combating some of it - good results that time and that FO has over 5% vanillin.
This next one was Dragons Blood by FB at under 2% vanillin, which didn’t say much to warn me in the reviews (my review does for the next soaper!) so I used TD and micas and hoped for the best. Here’s before and after, which is why I asked before using the next one with the 0.5 vanillin. 😊
View attachment 74717View attachment 74718
Thanks for mentioning the Dragon’s Blood FO. I haven’t used mine yet and I am now forewarned.

Thanks for asking this question. I like the after, and it works with the FO, but the before was really pretty. I just made a soap using a FO that was supposed to discolor heavily and it is a nice creamy white 🙄. I know it may take several weeks to discolor but next time I will use a color. It’s all good as I have an alternate name in mind and either way it’s one of the prettiest soaps I have made. Am also going to check out @TheGecko’s recommendation for Sodium Metabisulfite.

Something I wanted to add. How much I use of the Sodium Metabisulfite mixture is dependent on how brown my soap gets naturally.

The first picture is of Autumn Harvest, as you can see...it is VERY brown:

Autumn Harvest 1.jpg

This next picture is using the same FO and the mixture at 1 to 1:

Autumn Harvest.jpg

And this picture is Ancient Sedona which also discolored to a dark brown:

IMG_1380.jpg

Latest posts

Back