Scent / Color Pairings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What are your go-to scent color combos? I think we all get orange is orange and lemon is yellow, but what do you pair when the choice is less obvious or if you’re feeling rebellious? Favorite multi-color combo discussions are welcome here too. Here’s one to prime the pump: What does “teal” smell like?

Teal -
Anything water scented,
added in a rainbow it would be (for me) fruit scented (like Fruit Slices)

For other odd combo's it just really depends on the scent. Since I mix all of my scents (for the most part) so it's hard to speak in the abstract

Teal, for me, represents the exotic. Citrus notes pair with most anything so if I were to concoct a TEAL I'd probably mix some pineapple with a little musk to deepen the mystery and round it out with a familiar scent like vanilla.

I am well aware that I live in "left field" but I'm ok with it.

Teal? Minty.

Since I have only been using natural colorants and they don't always turn out to be as expected, I have a few soaps with a color-scent mismatch, and I can't believe how much they bother me. E.g., a green soap with a lilac scent. Or a pink-purple soap with citrus scent. Or an orange-red soap swirl with a lavender-spruce scent. I get confused every single time I use them :)

My very favorite soap so far is my honey-beeswax honey-scented soap, maybe because it is also honey-colored. Bingo, for one.

I didn’t mean to make it a tread about teal, specifically. For the record, teal makes me think tea tree and/or lemongrass. My broader question is, what are you classic, but maybe not so obvious color - fragrance pairings?

I didn’t mean to make it a tread about teal, specifically. For the record, teal makes me think tea tree and/or lemongrass. My broader question is, what are you classic, but maybe not so obvious color - fragrance pairings?
That's funny, I would never think of teal as tea tree or lemongrass!
Tea tree = muddy green;
lemongrass = yellow-green. I guess most scents pair with some shade of green for me :)
Bergamot = tan/yellow (early grey?).
Grapefruit = pink; most citrus = yellow.
Apple = white.
Made a chamomile face wash and it's.... yes, green.

ETA: I was just thinking about this, and although there are many scents that pair with various colors for me, there is NOTHING that would pair with blue. At all.

I thought about it a bit more and for a more natural or logical pairing, teal could be an herbaceous evergreen type like cedar/juniper berries.

Lemongrass is a deep golden orangey color. I color it with turmeric.

Spice notes like nutmeg, cinnamon, clove I add warm tones from honey and let the soap tan naturally.

I may not go straight for classic pairings of scent/color but I do need to be able to make a connection in my soaps. I draw from the color, the scent, the name and the ingredients and then douse them in imagination.

I have a history of vague analogies. No denial here, I own it. ;-p

I've been using a lot of FOs here lately, and my method of deciding on color and design is to close my eyes and sniff the FO. Something comes to me that day or the next.
Tobacco and Rum became ombre grey. It is quite appropriate as the scent has a sort of "stone" scent in the background to me.
Country Breeze is sky blue with white "clouds".
Cucumber melon is sort of a cantaloupe shade with a very little bit of Laurel Green drizzled in.
Spiced Plum Tea is a purple ITPS with uncolored soap as I did not smell any tea, just plum.
Champaca and Neroli is an ITPS of Brandeis Blue (very little, just a hint) with Laurel Green and uncolored "white".

That's all that is in this tray that I am packaging. I'm sure you get the picture.

*EDIT* Oh, and teal is definitely a water color.

I've been using a lot of FOs here lately, and my method of deciding on color and design is to close my eyes and sniff the FO. Something comes to me that day or the next.
Tobacco and Rum became ombre grey. It is quite appropriate as the scent has a sort of "stone" scent in the background to me.
Cucumber melon is sort of a cantaloupe shade with a very little bit of Laurel Green drizzled in.
Spiced Plum Tea is a purple ITPS with uncolored soap as I did not smell any tea, just plum.
Champaca and Neroli is an ITPS of Brandeis Blue (very little, just a hint) with Laurel Green and uncolored "white".

That's all that is in this tray that I am packaging. I'm sure you get the picture.

a great method

I do something similar - try to match the colors to what I "see" in a scent. If I use EOs, then I use natural colorants. If I use FOs, then I use micas. Ocean Breeze is mostly blue with green and white. Perfect Storm is mostly blue with gray and white. Twilight Woods is swirled with purple, green, and black. Lily of the Valley is pink with gold and white swirls. Pixie Dust is a 6-color swirl. It's fun to come up with a color scheme.

ETA: I was just thinking about this, and although there are many scents that pair with various colors for me, there is NOTHING that would pair with blue. At all.
This is where this started back in the today's soapy thing thread lol

I've said there that for me, a lot of the "green" masculine scents like cedarwood and cypress work in blue soap, and spearmint.. And maybe lavender, depending on the shade of blue.

I only use EOs though..

That's funny, I would never think of teal as tea tree or lemongrass!
Tea tree = muddy green;
lemongrass = yellow-green. I guess most scents pair with some shade of green for me :)
Bergamot = tan/yellow (early grey?).
Grapefruit = pink; most citrus = yellow.
Apple = white.
Made a chamomile face wash and it's.... yes, green.

I agree. Blue is a tough one; although, I love it. Peppermint for me = blue.

Somehow I managed to convince myself that blue can be eucalyptus, at least icy blue. Bergamot to me is a yellow green. I love teal and use it mainly as an accent color - it kind of goes with everything and looks great with purple, oranges and brown. Tea Tree for me reads black - probably because one of my first soaps was a tea tree blend with lavender and I don't remember what else and activated charcoal. I've at least been able to convince myself that the accent color doesn't necessarily have to make sense scent-wise. That has helped. I tend to get stymied sometimes trying to work that out. Colors I rarely put together are pink and purple and I don't really know why.

I mostly use fo's, a few eo's
I do match colours and scents, always will.
Scents/Colours I've used together in the past.

Green - peppermint, holly, apple, pear, lime, bamboo
Pink - frangipani, marshmallow, rose, carnation, cherry blossom, sweet pea
Yellow - also frangipani, banana, monkey farts, lemongrass
Teal - ocean breeze
Brown - chocolate, cinnamon, coffee
Mauve - lavender, lilac
Apricot - peach, mango, kumquat
Blue - energy, rain, fresh linen, cold water, blueberry, shave/ haircut, anniseed
Red - mostly christmas scents
White - gardenia, tuberose, clean cotton, jasmine, coconut
Tan - caramel
Purple - love spell, violet, wisteria, passionfruit
Black - licorice

The lemongrass I buy and have grown has always been green, both inside and out. A little bit of white in the middle, but even that is tinged with green. I use in thai foods, but often in other types of foods. So if I were the scent with anything it would be paler greens.

Margarita scent I have paired with orange, yellow & green multi-colored soap and it seemed to go pretty well, basically because it was brightly colored like so many 'Margaritaville' establishments are brightly colored.

I often don't give a lot of thought to the color and scent pairing. It's more about my mood at the time. Generally, I look at my colors and pick what I want to go into a soap, then pull out my scents and pick and choose what seems to be fitting at the moment.

I have used chai tea scent in pink and white soap. It turned the white to a tan making the soap look like a feminine camo soap, but it smelled so fabulous I forgave the discoloration and thought it went quite nicely together. After all I love the scent of chai tea and drink it as often as I can.

Energy scent, I mixed with neon green and deep blueish-purple, but learned I hate the scent. It seem to go well with the colors, but I can't stand the fragrance, so have never used the soap.

If I want jewel colors, I learned I can use Dragon's Blood to get them. It seems to enrich the colors as well as darken them, so rather than going for a darkened pale color, I choose already deep colors to go with DB, then shine them up and polish them to gleam like jewels.

Back