Scent / Color Pairings

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is where this started back in the today's soapy thing thread lol

I've said there that for me, a lot of the "green" masculine scents like cedarwood and cypress work in blue soap, and spearmint.. And maybe lavender, depending on the shade of blue.

I only use EOs though..
Oh thanks Dawni, I missed that, I see!
And yes, maybe part of my "issue" is that I also almost only use EOs. *Maybe* I'm convincible of spearmint smelling blue.... :) Btw., I love your color in the soapy thing thread --- that's a gorgeous green. My natural colorant greens end up usually on the somewhat muddy side.

Somehow I managed to convince myself that blue can be eucalyptus, at least icy blue. Bergamot to me is a yellow green. I love teal and use it mainly as an accent color - it kind of goes with everything and looks great with purple, oranges and brown. Tea Tree for me reads black - probably because one of my first soaps was a tea tree blend with lavender and I don't remember what else and activated charcoal. I've at least been able to convince myself that the accent color doesn't necessarily have to make sense scent-wise. That has helped. I tend to get stymied sometimes trying to work that out. Colors I rarely put together are pink and purple and I don't really know why.

Oh yeah, eucalyptus is definitely blue. Great one!

Oh yeah, eucalyptus is definitely blue. Great one!
I was just thinking about this. In my head, lavender with eucalyptus is also blue. A nice, soft blue.

@atiz thank you! It is isn't it? I used indigo and was hoping for blue, though haha.. When I try again I'll scent it with the above mentioned combo.... If I get the right blue lol

I was just thinking about this. In my head, lavender with eucalyptus is also blue. A nice, soft blue.

@atiz thank you! It is isn't it? I used indigo and was hoping for blue, though haha.. When I try again I'll scent it with the above mentioned combo.... If I get the right blue lol
Hm, lavender with eucalyptus... I think I can see that! Lavender is definitely purple for me and eucalyptus is green, and blue can be in the middle, at least on the color wheel. I have not tried indigo (seems expensive here), but it does look really nice -- hope you figure out the blue.

I find that fragrance oils don't at all smell how they are described or what their names are, so whatever color would really work for whatever fragrance oil, more or less. Unless a fragrance is straight up pear or bananas, they do have bottom notes of sandalwood, musk, patchouli or something like that (at lest mine have). So I think whatever color works, since the color would match with something in your fragrance anyway. I made a blue soap that had a fragrance which smelled brown. But it works just fine. It harmonizes together when the soap is made and cut and you have the final product in front of you. Nobody would know a brown, rich fragrance is not supposed to fit a blue soap. It was an accident from my side, I did not think of what color would suit the fragrance at all, just dumped it in. And because of that, I know it is not important to color match at all.

My latest soap were supposed to be green and black, for the most, but ended up with a lot of red-purple instead since I had to soap in a hurry because of rapid thickening. Red-purple sounds like something that would not match the fragrance of pear and black musk. But it does, in the end. Matches just perfect.

My latest scent combo -- copied from someone on here -- is 50/50 lavender/litsea cubeba. Awesome! I haven't really connected scents to colors and use whatever color I have on hand. I love to get the sampler packs of micas. I'm partial to gray, blue, brown, black, white. If lavender is the main scent, I use purple. I like purple/gray/white together.
The one color I associate with my rosemary/lemongrass/cedarwood combo is white. It smells clean and fresh so I like it to be white.

Sometimes, rather than try to match color to scent, I try to "match" color and scent to audience. Like, if I have a masculine floral, maybe it's blue, or green, or either of those with a tiny touch of a pink swirl.

Or like those commercials where somebody designs their whole bedroom around a pillow, or their whole bathroom around a cup, pick an object and design a bar of soap around it. Not necessarily a scented object, like a fruit. But anything. Obvious picks are bathroom things, like a towel. But you could pick an advertisement, or a car, or a piece of vintage dishware. Or an animal.

My latest scent combo -- copied from someone on here -- is 50/50 lavender/litsea cubeba. Awesome! I haven't really connected scents to colors and use whatever color I have on hand. I love to get the sampler packs of micas. I'm partial to gray, blue, brown, black, white. If lavender is the main scent, I use purple. I like purple/gray/white together.
The one color I associate with my rosemary/lemongrass/cedarwood combo is white. It smells clean and fresh so I like it to be white.
I agree! Throw some rosemary or clary sage in there, and it'll go up another notch.

Sometimes, rather than try to match color to scent, I try to "match" color and scent to audience. Like, if I have a masculine floral, maybe it's blue, or green, or either of those with a tiny touch of a pink swirl.

Or like those commercials where somebody designs their whole bedroom around a pillow, or their whole bathroom around a cup, pick an object and design a bar of soap around it. Not necessarily a scented object, like a fruit. But anything. Obvious picks are bathroom things, like a towel. But you could pick an advertisement, or a car, or a piece of vintage dishware. Or an animal.

Yes! I did this for my nephew & his wife's wedding gifts a couple or so years ago. When I looked at their chosen color scheme for the bathroom, I chose colors based on their chosen towels, and then for a fragrance, based on other information I knew about the couple and in coordination with the colors, I chose the scent. It turned out to be a very personal and specialized gift at their wedding. Of course I also picked out some of the towels from their registry to include in the gift box as well. I was very pleased with the result.

Yes! I did this for my nephew & his wife's wedding gifts a couple or so years ago. When I looked at their chosen color scheme for the bathroom, I chose colors based on their chosen towels, and then for a fragrance, based on other information I knew about the couple and in coordination with the colors, I chose the scent. It turned out to be a very personal and specialized gift at their wedding. Of course I also picked out some of the towels from their registry to include in the gift box as well. I was very pleased with the result.

I love the idea of soaps as wedding gifts. Ive done a set for bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts a few years ago. A set of 3 in a box makes a great gift, especially if they go with the wedding colors. Today’s our 30th anniversary, so y’all are making me misty-eyed.

I love the idea of soaps as wedding gifts. Ive done a set for bridesmaids and groomsmen gifts a few years ago. A set of 3 in a box makes a great gift, especially if they go with the wedding colors. Today’s our 30th anniversary, so y’all are making me misty-eyed.
Happy Anniversary! Here's to many more!

Latest posts

Back