Savon de Marseille Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkor

Reaction score
Yes, me again with more questions. I seem to have more interest in learning about the history and the how's and why's of soap then the actual making of soap.
I have made 4 batches of soap to date. A failed goat milk and honey cp soap (overheated), a castile soap (very nice and on month 4 of a 12 month cure), a regular 4 oil cp soap (nice soap but nothing spectacular) and a hp shaving soap (very nice).
I have been reading about Savon de Marseille soap and in my research have found a few interesting things. Without going into the history to much here, it appears that it is "cooked" for up to 10 days at 248F. What are the reasons for such a long cook? How does the batch not lose most of the water?
After the cook, if I'm understanding this part correctly, the batch is then washed several times in salt water supposedly to eliminate soda? Then it is poured into molds and kept at temps of 120-140F for 2 days, then unmolded and cut. How is the batch washed in salt water?
Interesting related fact; it appears that the trademark "Savon de Marseille" belongs to the Henkel group in Germany. In December 2013, after much lobbying, it was finally decided to award savon de Marseille an IGP (Indication géographique protegée), or protected label. When fully implemented, this measure will authorise only soap manufactured within the Bouches du Rhône départment using the traditional process to be sold as savon de Marseille.

Thank you Susie for the link. While it is an interesting discussion on using salt or brine to "clean up" rancid or used oil and maybe to a lesser degree correcting a lye heavy batch of soap, I'm not quite convinced it is relevant to the process I'm questioning.

Claus Porto has some interesting stuff on their site about the history and manufacturing.

The thing about those REALLY hard soaps is that it requires industrial equipment to do that. I was surprised to see CP actually CARVES their final soap shapes. Seems kinda wasteful.

GM & H soaps are notorious for overheating. Don't give up.

I *love* the scents and texture of the CP bars. I haven't been able to match their scents yet. But I do find their stuff very drying on my skin. But yes, it is interesting stuff. You are not the only history nerd around here. :razz:

~HoneyLady~

Thank you HoneyLady! That is a very interesting read. I got lost on the website for a good hour. I really appreciate that! :clap:

The process might be a little bit like the Lush thread I posted. I guess salt is added to separate the soap from the water. They scoop the chunks of soap out and melt them down and add whatever like fragrances, and then they mold them. At least that's how I understand it to be.
I'm not sure how Marseille is made now but I bet it's a simpler process than what they used to do. As long as it's made there and complies with the olive oil (or 72%) recipe it's good to go. From my understanding they add way more water and lye than what we would ever add to CP and that's why they can heat it for so long and still retain water.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=46729

Latest posts

Back