Sassafras

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aunt Polly

Reaction score
Oh, and another question.
Has anyone ever used sassafras root or sassafras tea in their soap? I think it would make a pretty color, pink, maybe.

No I haven't, so I obviously don't know. But, this question brought to my mind a similar question. I want to make a soap with the Tazo tea blend, "Passion." It's a deep reddish purple, so I am curious if that will turn out, as well. Who knows what the lye with do.

Someone, I think it was Soaping 101, recommended testing color fastness by mixing a little with lye water in the same concentration you'd use in your recipe. If the colour remains the same, then it'll probably make it through the cp process.

I imagine the purple is from hibiscus? I know hibiscus tea will become clear when lime juice is added: so it reacts with acids, probably will react with alkalis too.

Someone, I think it was Soaping 101, recommended testing color fastness by mixing a little with lye water in the same concentration you'd use in your recipe. If the colour remains the same, then it'll probably make it through the cp process.

I imagine the purple is from hibiscus? I know hibiscus tea will become clear when lime juice is added: so it reacts with acids, probably will react with alkalis too.

Yes! It's hibiscus! My favorite flavor part of the tea. By "testing in the same concentration" do you mean, put the same amount in a bit of lye in the same amount you would, as if you were going to use it (and should it work, maybe even use that?), and use that as a test to see? I like that idea. I think I'll try it.

Oh, I have a forum thread question, now. : )

I've experimented with a number of different teas and never had them do anything but turn brown. A couple of them were pretty browns, though!

I don't know about sassafras but I do know that rhubarb root infused in oil makes pink soap.

Lotus, here's the link: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVqgqJttcgo[/ame]

Oh, I wish I had access to rhubarb: stalk and root :)

Back