sap value of essential oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a book about aromatherapy where they have described the notes per essential oil. But i didnt know lavendel became scenting more after saponification. Btw going to make lavendel soap this weekend with lard, coconut oil, olive oil and coconut milk. Still twisting about that i wanted to add palm oil For strength and longevity but i dont like the orange color.

I have a book about aromatherapy where they have described the notes per essential oil. But i didnt know lavendel became scenting more after saponification. Btw going to make lavendel soap this weekend with lard, coconut oil, olive oil and coconut milk. Still twisting about that i wanted to add palm oil For strength and longevity but i dont like the orange color.
You must be using red palm. Regular palm isn’t orange. 😉

Yes red palm oil 🤓 turned out orange though I made this with jasmin Essential oil with a carrier oil in it. I know this because the essential oil was cheap. Btw the lavendel i am going to use is more like a watery substances or terpentine like not really oily. I know this lavendel EO is really good because it grows in the area of the distillery the grow it themself. And distill.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3
Nice! Looks like you have a partial gel ring in the middle. You can prevent that in the future by encouraging full gel with towels, heating pad, or CPOP. You can also put the cut bars back in the oven in warm for a bit till they finish gelling. There are some threads here with specific instructions for that. 😊

My bad, I just found the Kevin Dunn interview where he talks about essential oils and saponification, his statement is "the scent of CP soap made with lavender oil will smell less of linalyl acetate and more of linalool than the original EO". Which in my mind was somehow translated into lavender gets stronger in CP - when really only part of it gets weaker.

The rest of the interview goes into more detail regarding the reactivity of EO compounds in alkali solutions, and includes a handy table identifying reactive compounds found in common essential oils used in soapmaking.

Link: "Essential oils in soap: interview with Kevin Dunn" (2011).

Edit: formatting

Latest posts

Back