Samples - how do you explain?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
So, I did a tiny show this weekend. I had lotion, whipped shea and lip balm. For the lotion and shea, I had popsicle sticks to get samples out of tiny containers. For the lip balm, I separated out 1 tube of each flavor and and had tooth picks. I explained in several ways:

"There's a sample tube of each flavor here. Grab a toothpick and scrape a bit off the top of you want to try it."
- They try to take a tube out of the main bin (the for sale tubes, not the designated LABELED sample tube).

"If you'd like to try the raspberry, here's a sample tube. Use a toothpick to scrape some off the top."
Goes for non-sample tubes.

How do you explain/label/display so this is OBVIOUS?

LOL.

Although if I do this show next year I'm just going to do whipped shea in like 20 fragrances. Nothing else got much interest.

Honestly, I am not sure why they do it, but you could have a 4’ sign and they would still do it. I’m guessing just some hyper focus to avoid human interaction?

But anyway, you just have to catch them. I can get pretty aggressive (but still politely) to keep them from opening a non-sample. Usually I project my voice at them with a smile saying “the samples are right here! Please feel free to open and smell the samples!”

Other solutions include shrinkwrapping all non-sample lip balms (which I despise) or taping jars shut so they cannot be opened.

What I do is ONLY have samples on display. Keep the stock that’s unopened either under the table or out of reach. When I have jars out, I tape them using a clear vinyl tape to keep them shut. Hope that’s helpful!

Honestly, I would just discontinue the lip balm samples.
I've never, ever seen samples like that at all the markets I go to and I still buy full sized tubes.
Either that or shrink wrap the sale tubes.

I shrink wrap all my lip balm tubes. I have displays that hold the tubes and in each slot in the front I have the tester not shrink wrapped and labeled as such. Toothpicks work great. Have never had an issue with it but once, had a women take off the wrap on one.

Honestly, I would just discontinue the lip balm samples.
I've never, ever seen samples like that at all the markets I go to and I still buy full sized tubes.
Either that or shrink wrap the sale tubes.

Most of the time in my area, sellers have a sample available. I like to make unusual scents and scent combinations so I assume people want to try before the buy. Vanilla and mint are pretty standard. But one of my offerings this weekend was Raspberry Almond and that's not a common lip balm flavor. Plus I got a few sales when people said, "sure my lips are really chapped right now" then they tried it, liked it and bought a tube.

Honestly, I am not sure why they do it, but you could have a 4’ sign and they would still do it. I’m guessing just some hyper focus to avoid human interaction?

But anyway, you just have to catch them. I can get pretty aggressive (but still politely) to keep them from opening a non-sample. Usually I project my voice at them with a smile saying “the samples are right here! Please feel free to open and smell the samples!”

Other solutions include shrinkwrapping all non-sample lip balms (which I despise) or taping jars shut so they cannot be opened.

What I do is ONLY have samples on display. Keep the stock that’s unopened either under the table or out of reach. When I have jars out, I tape them using a clear vinyl tape to keep them shut. Hope that’s helpful!

This is a really really smart idea! I don't know why I never thought of it! And you don't have to worry about making a cute display, having said cute display tip over, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back