salt soap swirl? how do you?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlicesWonderhands

Reaction score
Im looking to get a little more artsy with my bars and I was just wondering how you swirl your salt bar recipe?
My instinct say one would split the batch, add the colorant, then add the salt and pour in to the mold?

I add the scent, split and color then add in the salt. Make sure you use a FO that doesn't accelerate at all.

I usually add my scent to the oils. I then divide my salt and add the color to my salt and mix well. Then add lye mixture to my oils and bring to light trace then divide and then add salt and mix with a spatula then pour in my mold and swirl or do an ITP swirl. I don't find my batter to thicken up all that fast.

I love salt bars and use between 25 and 50 percent salt.

Thanks guys! Could you each tell me the % of salt that you use? this could determine the difference in set times. I have been using the same weight in salt as oils and 100% coconut oil w a 20% super fat. ( I like simplicity)

I did 100% and my soap wound up awful. I just did 60% and it was perfect for me. I am using an extra I made (it's a week old lol) for hand washing, and it's awesome. I don't wait. I use one extra immediately every batch and watch the changes over time. Most soaps mature best at the 8 week mark I find for me. 4 weeks is fairly mediocre, and 6 is a false positive for at 8 it becomes awesome.
Salt I'm expecting even longer curing based on what I've read, that and my crummy 100% salt that had thin scant lather can now work up a lather if I work it in the warm water for 30-45 good seconds...and it's around 5 months old or so now.

Remember, if decrease the salt you decrease the co a tad and this can decrease the sf a tad. It is a juggling act between salt, co, and sf with the extras bringing up the rear.

Back