rose clay questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I got some from Oregon Trails and really liked it. Then I bought some rose clay from WSP and it's a totally different color. Really almost a coral pink. The OT's one does not morph in color from goat milk like most red and pink colorants. Do any pink or rose clays that you've come across do that?

It doesn't say on the WSP package that there are any other ingredients besides Kaolin in it. Brambleberry has some new clays that have mica in them for color and it lists them in the ingredients on the website page.

I don't know why goats milk would change the pink and red colors I tried but they went tan-brown.

Last edited:
Could potentially be off topic, but out of curiosity, what do you like about rose clay (apart from color)? What does it do for the soap? Curious because I've used bentonite and French green clay, but that was specifically for slip in a shaving soap and oil absorption in oily skin soap. Celine Blacow uses clay in all her soaps.

The benefits are listed on OR Trails site but I don't remember them offhand. I just don't see how they could vary so much in color. You don't know what you'll get with different suppliers it seems.

I have gotten Rose Clay from Camden-Grey and Brambleberry...no morphing and consistent color from both.

Could potentially be off topic, but out of curiosity, what do you like about rose clay (apart from color)? What does it do for the soap? Curious because I've used bentonite and French green clay, but that was specifically for slip in a shaving soap and oil absorption in oily skin soap. Celine Blacow uses clay in all her soaps.

Clays add slip and purify skin in different ways. Rose clay is a detoxifier, so you can use it as a mask. Not sure what the benefit would be in a wash off product except the slip.

Latest posts

Back