Usage Rates for Soap Base Ingredients?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanaherrera

Reaction score
I have been following a few recipes for making glycerin soaps over at youtube. For example, there's Bonnie's of Good Earth Spa, and then there's Soap and Clay, and others. I have no problem with the percentages for the oils. We have soapcalc and soapmaking friend for that :)

What I'm intrigued about are the other ingredients like propylene glycol, glycerin, coco betaine, and sorbitol. I believe there are usage rates to follow but can't seem to find one. It would help to know what the rates are so we can skip some of them and formulate our own...

Made some batches using Bonnie's soap base recipes. The brown ones are from her olive oil base recipe and the pink ones are based on her clear base recipe... In the olive oil batch, I added some yellow kaolin and TD but they didn't get incorporated properly in the mixture and so 😇 should have stick blended that....

On the pink ones, I used pink kaolin, a tad of pink mica, a tsp of rose powder and they've mixed beautifully in the base.

IMG_1196.jpg

Those look very nice!

Here is a recipe for transparent soap that includes percentages. Her Ultimate Hot Process Soap e-book includes full tutorials for making this and other HP soaps. All of her e-books are great, IMO.

Thanks so much!!! I'll try this one and follow the recommendations for the solvents and skip the alcohol. I wonder if the volume for propylene glycol can be reduced? It'll be my first time to use a 1:1 water to lye ratio with glycerin and wonder if it'll help reduce sweating...

Also, today I removed the plastic cling wrap on the bars because they were sweating. The beads were oily and so after I took off the wrappings, the bars are fine now even with the fan on. I remember Bonnie saying that she doesn't wrap them right away so they can cure. I suppose the glycerin soaps develop glycerin beads only after they've been remelted and used in the bath?

Latest posts

Back