Ridiculed for having an interest in making soap....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lluvio

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Well not exactly ridiculed but definitely "questioned" in terms of why. Mind you, it was all in fun but she still questioned WHY.

I'm a 38 year old male that has enjoyed buying CP soaps ever since my early 20's. After attending the Lamb and Sheep Wool Festival in Hagerstown, MD a few years back, I thought, why not learn to make some of this myself?

Perhaps this might be considered a feminine hobby but I never really put that much thought into it.

I just have enjoyed hand craft soaped with unique scents and textures. It certainly beats the stuff you find at your grocery store.

What are YOUR thoughts on this?

Personally I believe that any hobby a person has that brings them pleasure and doesn't bankrupt them is just fine, and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If you enjoy making soap, you should make soap. :)

Gender has nothing to do with it! If you stay on the soap forums long enough, you'll see a good mix of male and female soapmakers from around the world. A better question would be, "Why not?" :)

I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to hand-made soaps (only about 8 months making CP), but I got a good bit of that too when I first started looking into it (about 3 months before I actually made my first soap). IME though, I don't think it's a feminine hobby. There seems to be just as many males interested in soap-making. And why not?! I would think the chemical aspects would appeal ("woohoo, I get to play with caustic chemicals!!" LOL). And the concept of making something natural with which to clean oneself would appeal to members of both sexes I think. Aside from all that, I get specfic requests all the time from DH. He's even been known to poke his head in the soaping room to watch. ;)

I just made my first batch of soap, and I was talking about it over dinner one night. It seems my husband also would like to try his hand at it. I really think as far as soap is concerned, it's gender-neutral. Maybe your friend is acting derogatory because she herself is interested in making soap but is nervous to say?

Lluvio said:
Hello everyone,

Well not exactly ridiculed but definitely "questioned" in terms of why. Mind you, it was all in fun but she still questioned WHY.

I'm a 38 year old male that has enjoyed buying CP soaps ever since my early 20's. After attending the Lamb and Sheep Wool Festival in Hagerstown, MD a few years back, I thought, why not learn to make some of this myself?

Perhaps this might be considered a feminine hobby but I never really put that much thought into it.

I just have enjoyed hand craft soaped with unique scents and textures. It certainly beats the stuff you find at your grocery store.

What are YOUR thoughts on this?

My wife thinks I'm weird too. Don't worry about it. I also enjoy making candles. My kids love it. I bought some M&P base for them so they don't play with the lye.

I am a truck driver by trade. In fact I made a batch of soap this week and one two weeks ago while on the road.
I have been sitting in Savannah GA since Thurday waiting on a load. If I wouldn't have been so lazy I would have went to wally world to pick up some oils I am out of and made another batch.

I have High Blood Pressure and the FO helps me control it (along with the pill).

I pull a food grade tanker and haul oils, to include PKO, Cocoa Butter and soy. I always have 2-5 gallons left in the tank. Where do you think it goes? Things that make ya go hmmmmmm. Not that I collect oil from every load.. Gotta watch the specs of the oils, some customer have some strange blends..

If anyone has a problem..lets discuss is behind my trailer.

who cares what sex you are, its fun and very addicting! I wouldnt be offended.

I don't think gender matters one bit. I have noticed a lot of the guys like to do biodiesel glycerin soap.

Most members of the soaping forum are women, by far. But maybe that's PARTIALLY cuz women are more social anyway...

But I get ridiculed for making soap as well. And I'm woman through and through. There are those who think it's great, and those who roll their eyes and think (or say) "Well hell, Dial's cheap..."

100 years ago Soapmaking was largely a man's profession.
Or so my DH loves to tell me when I make him get out of my soap kitchen.

One of the most "famous" soapers who definitely pushed the boundaries and changed the way soapers think of things is an Australian man, Named The Great Nizzy.
He pioneered the "whipped soap".
There are quite a few men on here, and they contribute to this forum just as much as the women, we've got DonnieJ, Steve, Rick, Bruce, Wayne, come on guys where are you?
Soapmaking is not girly, it's a mix of science, chemistry, and art.

i don't think gender has anything to do with it. while i'm quite a coservative person, i do have a bit of an alternative streak in me, so no one is ever surprised when i come up with a "new" thing to do and handmade soap is really useful and a real luxury. i have a friend who loves to make fun of the things i do, but has now started to settle down because i don't bother giving him any of the things i make anymore. i figured it was him who had the problem, so i stopped telling him what i was up to, and now he is showing new sincere interest.

yeahhhh Im a dude and loooove to soap :)

Never experienced anything negative yet :)

If someone doesnt like my hobby... I could care less... Im just like... I side with Thumper....."if you dont got nothing nice to say... dont say nuthin at alllll" lol

<-- 45 Year old male soaper...

I got interested partially from hearing my Dad talk about how he used to make soap from lard when growing up on a farm.

I have friends and family from all walks of life and no one gives me grief... probably because they love getting free soaps and don't want to jeapordize that.

I hear nothing but nice comments and genuine interest... but I really don't care what people think of me or my interests... never really have. :)

High Five to my fellow male soapmakers! and 5 for you girls too! yay for all!!

Any questions refer them to fight club or call it chemistry and use 5 syllable words a lot .... lol

I've had my share of snickers.
But I'm really addicted! I love it, I love pushing the envelope.

I'm also a baker...

I LOVE chemistry!

People poking fun really doesn't bother me, guess I played enough football to make up for it... LOL

You could take the fight club approach and act like you don't know anything about that part of your life when you are around them.

Besides, EVERYONE that has used my soap asks for more, It's fun to tease the ones that made fun of it when they ask for more.

Normal is soooo boring! Actually, I've had nothing but interest since I started making soap, especially the GM soap.

Of course, my friends are all used to me being a little different - I'm a Morris Dancer, I raise and show goats and - gasp! - drink the milk raw, and now I'm a soaper. :lol:

not to worry
as Euphoric points out
fight_club_soap.jpg

nothing sissy about it, man or woman
and if you can make some money while doing it all the better

I too get odd looks and comments when I'm talking about a particular fragrance oil or something.. I find references to fight club, soap making being alchemy, and the fact that you can make soap out of beer and coffee, and similar things doesn't only stop the ridicule but draws their own interest.

Latest posts

Back