Retired Chemist/Current Beekeeper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Docia Richard

Reaction score
Hey all, happy to have found this forum. I love handmade soaps, and figured since I have a ready supply of honey and beeswax, why not make my own? Perfect combination of old skills and new hobby products. But I'm so early on the learning curve, I don't know yet what I don't know! I figure this place will help educate me.

Hey all, happy to have found this forum. I love handmade soaps, and figured since I have a ready supply of honey and beeswax, why not make my own? Perfect combination of old skills and new hobby products. But I'm so early on the learning curve, I don't know yet what I don't know! I figure this place will help educate me.
Welcome to the forum! A retired chemist? That's amazing. I thought about it in the reverse since you have chemistry knowledge. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Hope you enjoy your time here. Cheers! =)

Welcome.gif

I have a ready supply of honey and beeswax, why not make my own?
Why not indeed! 😁 Although honey & beeswax are a wee bit challenging for a first time soaper, you're in for a real treat once you get the process down pat.

This guide will help you get off on the right foot:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...making-cold-processed-soap.88253/#post-945045
HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:

View attachment 73798

Why not indeed! 😁 Although honey & beeswax are a wee bit challenging for a first time soaper, you're in for a real treat once you get the process down pat.

This guide will help you get off on the right foot:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...making-cold-processed-soap.88253/#post-945045
HAPPY SOAPING! :computerbath:
Thanks, Zany, for the tips. Finding reliable beginner recipes has been a challenge. This forum has helped a great deal. I appreciate the generosity of sharing knowledge/experience with the noobs. It's a wonderful change for me to be on the receiving end- I mentor new beekeepers as part of my other hobby. It's good for my ego, to be the clueless one for a change.

Thanks, Zany, for the tips.
You're welcome. :)
Finding reliable beginner recipes has been a challenge.
Lovin' Soap Studio as well as many others are reliable sources for free recipes. Another one you might like is Soap Queen. You could also goolge "DIY Cold Process Honey and Beeswax Soap" -- or similar. David Fisher's Site linked below has good old fashioned soap recipes worth a look.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/beginners-learn-to-soap-online.64426/
Advice to Newbies

Before trying any recipe, be sure to run it through a calculator first. There are many to choose from. I like SoapCalc because it is the one favored by most soapmakers. Spend some time learning to use it. There are tips for Newbies linked at the top -- "Getting Started" and "Detailed Instrucctions". As for setting up, hover your mouse over each number for instructions. The more you practice the easier it gets. Eventually you will learn to manipulate it for whatever it is you want to make.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back