Residue - does it happen to you?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holly99

Reaction score
Ok, I do have one big beef with handmade soap. It leaves a residue!

I'm a stay-at-home mom and I wash my hands a lot with all the cleaning, diapers, etc. My hands always look like I have a white glove on. My soap and others that I buy all leave this residue. Then it starts flaking off, etc. It's not nice. When it starts getting real bad, water just beads up on it and flys off.

It happens in the sinks too. There is this white film in the sink and water just beads up and bounces off of it.

So, I know it isn't just my soap because I use all kinds of handmade from 4 or 5 different makers.

Does it happen to you?

I haven't either and I've been using my soaps for 6 months every day to shower and wash my hands.

Haven't noticed a residue, but have noticed I need to clean my tubs out more frequently (not that I do, only that I should! :) )

Jude

I know what you are talking about Holly. I've noticed that I have a slightly dull film like substance in my bathroom sink that I use very frequently and I have attributed it to the soap. It does clean easily so if I give the sink a squirt of my vinegar cleanser and wipe it out with a towel it comes right off. I imagine the more you use the soap, the quicker the buildup might be.

There was recently a thread about this very thing - posters were noting the buildup (or lack thereof) in their showers. If I can find the thread, I will post it later.

Went through 13 pages of post titles and can't find it (sorry :( ) Maybe someone else can remember the subject of the post.

By the way, that film like substance is only in my sink - I've not noticed anything on my hands.

Sorry Holly - I've noticed it on my hands from store bought soaps, but ones I make leave my hands feeling lovely and soft - no need for lotion. Is there an ingredient in these soaps that you're having a reaction to perhaps?

Hmm... I haven't noticed anything like that either in the 3+ years I have been exclusively using my own handmade soaps (on our hands or skin). I do get residue in my fiberglass shower and sink after a week of consant use by the three of us, but it comes off quite easily when I do my cleaning every Saturday.

What kind of water do you have? Perhaps that plays a role in what is happening, especially when combined with a lot of hand washing. Soft water will help to give you a cleaner rinsing while harder water will contribute to more of a buildup. Perhaps a vinegar/water rinse on your hands once or twice a day is in order here. Also- do you happen to use any kind of lotion after washing to help to replenish the lost oils in your skin that can occurr from many repeated washings?

IrishLass :)

My hands were nice and moisturized and with the first quick wash of the day my hands had a definitely whiteness as to where the soap had been. As in, if I get a squiggly amount up on my wrist, it leave a white mark that stays all day.

As far as using lotion, it doesn't seem to be a moisturizing issue. I can put on lotion several times a day and everytiime I wash my hands, it just takes off the lotion and reveals the residue.

I don't know, it's obviously just me. I must have weird skin! :shock:

so are your hands like the equivalent of that lady in the Dove commercial?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUnzLOjh20o&feature=player_embedded"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUnzLOjh ... r_embedded[/ame] :wink:

Because I have small children and I cook a lot, I wash my hands a gazillion times a day. I haven't noticed handmade soap leaving a film on my shower or anything, but we have soft water.
I have however noticed that at the end of the day my hands have a white "bloom" on them, more prominite in between my fingers. I have olive skin,not very dark though and I have heard darker and olive skin types do get this occasionally. I used to get it with store soap also.

Funny running across this tonight. I had a client who buys my soap because it doesn't Leave "residue" on her skin the way my competition's does. I know we use different receipes and I know she adds glycerin to her soaps which could cause a few of the complaints I have heard about her soap.

Other than that I have never experienced it myself and I love the oils left behind on my hands moisturizing...

duh duh, duh (in a mystery movie clue pattern)

it was, mrs. purple with the glycerin, in the bathtub

:lol:

Like Lindy; my soap only leaves the slightest bit of oils & butters, just enough to replenish what the soap washes away. Definatly no film on my hands, nor on the sink. And I too wash my hands a lot cause we have pets...

holly99 said:
Ok, I do have one big beef with handmade soap. It leaves a residue!

I'm a stay-at-home mom and I wash my hands a lot with all the cleaning, diapers, etc. My hands always look like I have a white glove on. My soap and others that I buy all leave this residue. Then it starts flaking off, etc. It's not nice. When it starts getting real bad, water just beads up on it and flys off.

It happens in the sinks too. There is this white film in the sink and water just beads up and bounces off of it.

So, I know it isn't just my soap because I use all kinds of handmade from 4 or 5 different makers.

Does it happen to you?

Holly, is the residue oily to the touch before it starts to dry and flake? i'm just wondering if it could be Tallow or something similar being left behind on your skin, it may not be singularly the reason but it could be a part of the problem. Do you wash your hands in hot, warm or cold water?

Question to someone that superfats (I never have so i'm not sure if it may be the issue) If someone superfatted with an oil such as tallow or a similar "solid" oil, adding it near the end of the process (by the way is that usually what gets done in superfatting?, I read that somewhere recently)...then could the solid oil be hanging around on the skin if the skin is being washed in warm to cool water?, kind of like when we make meatballs and try to wash the fat residue off our skin without soap or using cool water. Just a thought.

Most people do not add extra oils & butters near the end of the process; they discount the lye. There's really no way to tell which oil is going to fully saponify and which is going to form the superfat. It seems to be kinda random.
And I don't think this residue depends on the presence of solid oils; for example you could make a 100% coconut oil soap with 20 % superfat and mine did not leave a film...

Saltysteele said:
duh duh, duh (in a mystery movie clue pattern)

it was, mrs. purple with the glycerin, in the bathtub

:lol:

..... and everything went silent, except for the sound of crickets chirping.......

*chirp* *chirp*

(it was a reference to the boardgame, Clue)(a reference that I'm not sure cross international borders, so once again, I am an idiot)

That game is international (worldwide I think); but I didn't think your comment was funny, nor helpfull, nor did it have anything to do with other peoples comments... Not everyone shares the same sense of humor I guess :p

Latest posts

Back