Total surprise with a tincture residue

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

desiredcreations

Reaction score
I started making tinctures last year, so I don't have much experience, but I do like to experiment. Last year, I made a goldenrod flower tincture. After macerating for the standard 6-8 weeks in a canning jar, I replaced the metal lid with a paper towel. I wanted all the water and alcohol to evaporate to observe what residue remained. The 8 oz reduced to about a teaspoon of tarry residue, after about 4 months.

So experiment was done and I decided I didn't want to keep the tarry residue stuck in the bottom of the jar. I put the jar in the sink, ran hot water to clean it and the water immediately started foaming! For the tiny amount of residue, it created an incredible amount of bubbles.

Does anyone know the chemistry behind this? Is this a case of natural saponins?

1668296236399.png

I dunno why that happened - but if you love to experiment why wasn't that tarry residue added to some soap? Asking for a friend. :)
Bad timing. By the time I noticed the reaction, most of the residue was dissolved in the water. But I think I have half gallon of goldenrod sitting around somewhere. Time for another experiment, I think. Imagine "Goldenrod soap"

:)

I dunno why that happened - but if you love to experiment why wasn't that tarry residue added to some soap? Asking for a friend. :)
Found something that could explain the soapy behavior:

https://www.drhauschka.de/en/cosmos...the-world/medicinal-plant-glossary/goldenrod/

"The plant from another perspective​

Goldenrod contains saponins. These compounds form a soapy foam when shaken in water. On could say they combine air with water. It is this property of saponins, among other things, that gives goldenrod its healing quality. In the human body air and water mix in the lungs, blood, glands, skin and kidneys. Goldenrod has a harmonising action in all these areas."

Back