Replacing water with vinegar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
So, I'm going to try it. I've read a few threads here but I'm not seeing something basic - maybe I missed it? Do I just measure out the vinegar and dump the lye crystals in it?

Whatever you want. There's no set amount that is best. Of the people who have shared their experiences with vinegar, I think most use vinegar as a full replacement for water.

I did. I made a batch a while back in which half the batch was made with water/lye and the other half with vinegar/lye. I'll see if I can find my notes. I do know that I still have one half bar of the vinegar soap after a couple of years and its hard and lathers beautifully. I made no allowances for the vinegar, incidentally.

https://www.missionmeadowssoapery.com/2016/10/soap-made.html

Do you have to up the lye to counteract the acetic acid? Most store bought vinegar is roughly 5% acetic acid and that would surely make some sodium acetate out of the lye causing an overshoot on the superfat... wouldn't it?

I make most of my soaps with vinegar now using 50-100% vinegar. I multiply my vinegar amount by 0.0357 to get the additional amount of lye I need to compensate for the vinegar. I love the hardness and the way the soap lathers with vinegar, I also use a low superfat of 2%.

ETA: I use distilled vinegar not apple cider vinegar

For those who might be wondering about the difference between Carolyn's method (Post 7) and my method (Post 2) for figuring out the NaOH to neutralize the vinegar -- they're exactly the same thing; they just look different. You can multiply the amount of vinegar by 0.0357 (Carolyn's method) to get the amount of NaOH needed to neutralize the 5% vinegar solution. Or you can divide the amount of vinegar by 28 (my method) to accomplish the same thing. Either way gives you the same answer.

So, I'm going to try it. I've read a few threads here but I'm not seeing something basic - maybe I missed it? Do I just measure out the vinegar and dump the lye crystals in it?
I add the lye to right vinegar, but I do not suggest letting it sit long or masterbatching. Once the lye is added to the vinegar and reacts it will thicken up but it does still work fine. I just never masterbatch more that what I am going to use that day.

I add the lye to right vinegar, but I do not suggest letting it sit long or masterbatching. Once the lye is added to the vinegar and reacts it will thicken up but it does still work fine. I just never masterbatch more that what I am going to use that day.
That makes sense because of the acetate result. Those are great at increasing viscosity.

Thanks for the info about the lye-vinegar mixture thickening up. I'll add this to my article about using vinegar in soap, so other soap makers can benefit from your experience.

Last edited:
Checked out some of your blog and Instagram. That 'save' you did on the Viva Margarita that started accelerating before you were done getting it into the mold... Wow ... Probably a technique you wouldn't have done on purpose, but until I read the comment about it, I thought it WAS your on-purpose design! They came out beautiful!!

(cut soaps are here https://www.instagram.com/p/BsqLOzKBGtW/ )
Thank you. It isn't often that I get a batch that accelerates that quickly. It turned out a lot better than I thought it would.

Latest posts

Back