Replacing water with vinegar

Discussion in 'Lye-Based Soap Forum' started by dixiedragon, Jan 23, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 31, 2019 #21

KimT2au

KimT2au

KimT2au

You bet they die Supporting Member

At the moment I master batch my lye, so can I confirm that if I wanted to replace the additional water with vinegar, I would have to add the additional lye to the master batched lye I have weighed out. Is that correct? Does it mean that using vinegar to replace the water that is not part of the master batched lye, rather than all of the water, that the bar would still be hard?

@cmzaha do you use a low superfat because of the vinegar or because you prefer it that way? Do you use distilled vinegar because of the cost compared to ACV or for some other reason?

2. Jan 31, 2019 #22

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I have low superfatted since my second year of soaping. :lol: I mentioned my low superfat once in a forum and someone told me they would not touch my soap with a 10' pole. I just replied not to judge what you have not tried...My drains did not like all the oil going down the drain so I learned to make a nice balanced soap with low superfat, which has nothing to do with the vinegar. My plumbing bills became a lot less. I use distilled vinegar because it does not affect the color and their is no advantage to using ACV.

If I use my 50/50 masterbatch lye I just replace the balance of my liquid with vinegar and multiply the amount of vinegar by 0.0357 to determine the extra lye required, adding it into the vinegar. Yes the bar is still hard with the 50% vinegar, but we have to remember, my recipes are also pretty hard

KimT2au likes this.
  3. Jan 31, 2019 #23

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

Turned out great! I was really impressed with how easily it unmolded. This was from my tall skinny mold which is usually a pain to unmold. IMG_20190130_172503.jpeg IMG_20190130_173327.jpeg

Misschief, smengot0, amd and 6 others like this.
  4. Jan 31, 2019 #24

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Very nice looking. Will be curious how you like them after cure

5. Jan 31, 2019 #25

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

@dixiedragon They turned out beautiful! Now, I'm going to have to give it a go sometime soon.

6. Jan 31, 2019 #26

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

So, if I want to make coffee soap, can I just put my coffee grounds in the vinegar, nuke it, let it cool and then make the lye water?

7. Jan 31, 2019 #27

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

8. Jan 31, 2019 #28

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

I admit, I expected a violent reaction when I added the lye to the vinegar. But...nothing! It didn't even fizz a bit like it does when you add it to water. the lye crystals just sat there until I stirred.

I usually don't use my TS molds because it's so difficult to get the soap out. I was doing a long gel in the oven, then freezing, then hot water, then squeeze and pushing and pulling. Then bars a the end usually got a bit mangled. This just slid right out after I broke the seal.

KimT2au likes this.
  9. Jan 31, 2019 #29

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

I just use used coffee grounds and add them to my oils, but I am sure you could add them to your vinegar lye mix. You are not adding in a large amount of extra lye.

10. Feb 2, 2019 #30

smengot0

smengot0

smengot0

Very useful information. Thanks. I think I should try using vinegar instead of water in my recipes. Or at least water:vinegar ratio of 50:50.

11. Feb 2, 2019 #31

earlene

earlene

earlene

Grandmother & Soaper Lifetime Supporter

I may be late to the thread, but thought I'd mention this. Generally I don't use animal fats in my soap, so was surprised to find that the time I used lard and 100% vinegar replacement, the soap was very brittle. So my assumption was that the vinegar at that strength was far too much. I have not had such a brittle soap any other time. It was extremely hard soap, too, which was good, but it was so brittle that cutting it caused it to break in weird ways reminiscent of pieces of rock that come off a mountain side in odd shapes.

Incidentally when I make soap with vinegar I do the calculations for adjusting the lye, but may have made some sort of mistake with that batch in the calculations. I cannot be completely sure as it was a couple of years or so ago.

12. Feb 3, 2019 #32

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

My non-vegan soap is approx 45/20 tallow lard and my vegan soaps are 45% palm. They do not turn out extremely brittle, but I have to cut in 8-12 hrs

13. Feb 4, 2019 #33

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

I use 40% lard in my soaps. I definitely noticed more crumbly bits. The bars aren't damaged, but it's almost like little soap shavings? The soap was 24 hrs old when I cut, so I will definitely cut sooner with vinegar after this!

14. Feb 21, 2020 at 5:16 PM #34

ps1cute

ps1cute

ps1cute

I maybe getting on this thread late, but I've questioned also if ACV could be used in soap. I've seen a lot of people sell soap with that additive, but didn't understand how it was incorporated. I haven't been soaping long, so some stuff still goes over my head, but with the recipe you used, did you use the vinegar at 100% of water replacement or was it 50:50?

15. Feb 21, 2020 at 6:22 PM #35

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

I used vinegar at 100%. I was able to look up the recipe I used in Soapee (go soapee!) I used a 0% superfat, since the vinegar will eat up some of the lye, so my actual ending superfat is in the 5% range. I've never used AVC and I'd be concerned about it making the soap brownish. But if you're okay with that, then I'd try it at 100% water replacement and a superfat of 0%. Or maybe a 50% with a superfat of 2 or 3%.

16. Feb 21, 2020 at 7:32 PM #36

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Can I ask why you do not just use the factor of 0.357 x the amount of vinegar, adding in the extra lye, and control the superfat as you normally would?

DeeAnna likes this.
  17. Feb 21, 2020 at 7:57 PM #37

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

dixiedragon

Because math is hard, lol.

I have no idea how to do that. where would I add that in Soapee?

18. Feb 21, 2020 at 8:15 PM #38

Kcryss

Kcryss

Kcryss

Supporting Member

Soapmakingfriend does the math for you. :)

Ladka likes this.

Draft saved Draft deleted