Replacing Lard with a Vegetable Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 days!!!! I can render out over 50 lbs in one day. You don't need to boil the water out. I can see why you would want to do it outside if it takes that long the smell must be atrocious.

Honestly it shouldn't take you that long at all. Even the freezing (cooling) part should only be about an hour before you get solid fat.

Collect some fat (scraps, from bacon etc) and just try it this way. Chop any large solid bits put it all in pan with equal amount of water. Boil. You only need to boil until the fats are liquid. If after an hour you have any solid bits - they are not fat ( could be grisle or other) Then cool it. Take the solid fat and do it again. It gets faster and easier with each rendering. Usually 2 is sufficient but I always do mine 3 times just to be sure it is very clean.

If you like what you end up with maybe you'll try with some real tallow or good quality lard fat.

Dorymae- I concede defeat. I truly respect that you are willing and able to render lard for soap.

I have a mental block against rendering lard. I have only been present a couple of times when it was being done. I have bad memories of that process.

Ah Susie, I can understand. For a long time I had a problem with handling any raw meat never mind fat (gave me the shivers).
Once I started actually doing it, I started by wearing full gloves, apron, and a face mask!! Probably looked like I was handling a toxic substance. (By the way I started because tallow is not for sale around me and the suppliers of tallow many times are not selling 100% beef tallow...but that is another gripe...)

Don't give up on it completely (I mean forever). Honestly once you do it yourself a few times it gets very easy and you learn what fat doesn't give off that horrid animal smell. (Hint: you want kidney fat whenever you can get it)

I do understand peoples reluctance to rendering, I had that reluctance, the smell, the mess, not sure if I'm doing it right. Truth be known though I had the same reluctance to soap making at first. The using LYE! All those oils and fats? Would it stink? What about clean up?
But in the end it is like anything else, it gets much easier with time and experience.

Good luck to you.

EG......woot!!! I like your remark "after that I show them the door". :)

On the soap labels could I use the word "Manteca" as an ingredient instead of lard??

EG......woot!!! I like your remark "after that I show them the door". :)

On the soap labels could I use the word "Manteca" as an ingredient instead of lard??

Not in the US. Lard is the correct common name. The scientific name is Sodium Lardate but the common name must come first.

You could list in both English and Spanish but the English would need to be first.

If you list it that way you need to list both. I know it stinks to put Lard on a label but to label correctly it would read: Lard (Sodium Lardate) Or you could just say Lard.

I know there seems to have been a lot of confusion on labeling but the FDA has made it clear now. The common name must be there. The INCI name is optional.

Um, lard is lard. Sodium lardate is the soap made from lard -- different critter. One or the other but not both, depending on whether you list ingredients as what went into the soap pot or what came out.

Um, lard is lard. Sodium lardate is the soap made from lard -- different critter. One or the other but not both, depending on whether you list ingredients as what went into the soap pot or what came out.

So then as a ingredient it must say lard but Sodium lardate can be listed on the front as the type of soap? Please clarify, because I'd love to be able to list as Sodium lardate but from what I've read and seen it can't be done.

Never mind - I really shouldn't post when I get up. I understand what your saying but then you would have to list all your ingredients that way so a list would look like:

Sodium lardate, Sodium Olivate and Potassium Olivate,Sodium Cocoate and Potassium Cocoate, etc.

I remember seeing this but I've never used it, for me it looks to commerical but it could certainly work in the right market.

Last edited:
"...Sodium lardate, Sodium Olivate and Potassium Olivate,Sodium Cocoate and Potassium Cocoate, etc...."

Yes, Dorymae, that's how an ingredient list would look if one took the approach of listing what came out of the soap pot. And that is how it is required to be listed in some countries.

"...for me it looks to commerical..."

You have a point, but it gets around having to list "lard" as an ingredient, an issue that causes some soapers much angst. :)

In the US, you don't have to list ingredients for soap at all. And by saying this I want to stress to everyone that I am talking about simple "get you clean" soap with absolutely no cosmetic claims or drug claims ... and absolutely no oblique "weasel words" that imply drug or cosmetic claims.

Just-Plain-Soap is not regulated by the United States food and drug administration; it is regulated by the US consumer product safety commission (CPSC).

Rather than listing what comes out of the soap pot, you can list what went into your soap pot -- lard, coconut oil, palm oil, safflower, tallow, etc. That certainly seems more "friendly" and "natural", but the list should also include sodium hydroxide. And that's a point that causes some soapers much angst.

..................Sodium lardate, Sodium Olivate and Potassium Olivate,Sodium Cocoate and Potassium Cocoate, etc.

I remember seeing this but I've never used it, for me it looks to commerical but it could certainly work in the right market.

Here in Europe we have to use this for that very reason - there is no difference in the EU between a massive multinational firm and me making soaps in my kitchen - if we sell, we all have to live by the same rules no matter how big we are

i too am looking for an alternative to lard. there are a lot of vegetarians and vegans that would love a soap with no animal fat and also there are a lot of belief systems that don't allow pig fat

Rather than listing what comes out of the soap pot, you can list what went into your soap pot -- lard, coconut oil, palm oil, safflower, tallow, etc. That certainly seems more "friendly" and "natural", but the list should also include sodium hydroxide. And that's a point that causes some soapers much angst.

The go around for the sodium hydroxide is to list as:

Ingredients: Saponified oils of lard, coconut oil, palm oil etc.

Latest posts

Back