Rehab the hair (or how to get away from lye based shampoo)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a beautiful silver! I'm letting my gray come in without coloring it, but I'm at an in-between phase. My very straight hair is starting to frizz as it turns gray. My husband doesn't get mad when I cut it, but I do get sad, puppy dog eyes. What is kaolin supposed to do for hair?
Controls dandruff

Kaolin clay controls dandruff by absorbing some of the oil on your scalp. It can also help remove dead skin cells clogging up pores and leading to an itchy, flaky scalp.

Reduces excess oil

Kaolin clay has a very absorbent quality to it, which makes it great for reducing excess oil. This is helpful if you have oily hair or an oily scalp because the kaolin will help remove some of that grease and leave your locks looking fresh and clean!

Fights frizz

Kaolin clay works as a natural anti-frizz agent because it reduces the appearance of frizz caused by humidity. It is also an excellent ingredient for curly hair!

It helps with split ends.

Kaolin clay can help repair damaged or split ends in your locks, making it a popular treatment option for coloured and dry hair types. The mineral works its way through each strand of your hair and helps to seal up any weak spots.

Smoothes hair

Kaolin clay can smooth your locks by helping to remove buildups like product residue, oils, dirt and other debris that may be left behind from environmental pollutants. This will leave you with a clean scalp and shiny, healthy-looking hair!

Neutralizes & balances pH

Kaolin clay can help to balance the pH in your scalp and reduce excess oil production. It also helps keep your locks looking shiny, bouncy, and beautiful!

Helps with Hair loss

This natural mineral is rich in nutrients like iron, copper, magnesium calcium that are great for strengthening individual strands of hair. These minerals encourage new growth and can help to prevent hair loss in both men and women.

Treats skin conditions

Kaolin clay contains many minerals that are great for your skin and can help treat conditions like eczema, acne, psoriasis and more.

Detoxifies hair

The detoxifying effects of kaolin clay can help remove product buildup, dirt and other toxins left behind from pollutants in the environment or products you use on your hair.

Prevents colour fading

The natural UV protection of kaolin clay can help prevent the colour from bleaching out in hair dyed or treated with a chemical service.

Repairs damage

Kaolin clay can help repair hair damaged from heat styling, chemical services like perms and relaxers, or over-processing.
##########################
From the website selling a certain brand that I ain't gonna pay: QuickSilverHair Kit ~ Clay & Squalane Oil ~ QuickSilverHair
QuickSilverHair Squalane Kit
$50.99

Enjoy both the QuickSilverHair Clay and Squalane Oil
QuickSilverHair Squalane Kit includes:

• One 4 ounce bag of Clay
  • One 2 oz bottle of Squalane Oil

Hope this helps. If not holla and I'll find more 4-1-1.

I used to wash my hair with a solution made with soapnuts, amla, and shikakai powder (there's lots of info online). But, it took me a long time to prepare & wash....I have oily hair and need to wash about 4 times a week, so I just couldn't keep up with it. I really liked my hair during that time period though.
I purchase the dried herbs you mentioned above and put a heaping teaspoon in about a third cup HOT water and allow to steep 5 minutes, then wash my hair leaving it on while I wash my body. It suds beautifully due to the soapnuts (ground to a powder). Good luck!

Awww shucks, thanks. Determined to grow old gracefully. Er ah, yeah right as I sit here planning on some type of cute outfit to go see my granddaughter in a couple of weeks. She's been in Japan, her daddy is an airman and they will be flying home on way to next duty station . . . Hawaii. Yippeee, I get to see her, It has been three years.
Oh how nice’ I think bright colors & black is a great combination especially for beautiful grey hair’ it makes it pop! Along with a brighter makeup 💄💋.

@Lyric your hair is absolutely gorgeous! I hope one day my hair will be such a pretty silver🤩

Rhassoul was my favorite clay to use on my hair, but everyone is different, so experiment away😁 just a small tip: wash your ears thoroughly after a clay hairmask.. I once went to work with a lump of clay stuck in the crease of my ear 🤣

Although I really liked washing my hair with clay, it was a lot of work and I don't do it often anymore. I tried a few natural shampoos which were ok, but last summer my hair got very damaged from all the dust of the renovation and I went to a dedicated haircare shop to find something more protective and nourishing. They pointed me in the direction of a natural haircare brand that I now adore. I'm in EU, so might nog be available for most of you, but this is what I'm using:
https://www.floralehaircare.com/metamorphose-magna-macadamia-&-argan-oil-shampoo-hmemag00001https://www.floralehaircare.com/metamorphose-magna-macadamia-argan-oil-potion-11-150ml

I don't understand your statement that you don't use chemicals on your hair. Even water is a chemical (H20).

Hope
I can be more dictionary friendly for those who do not understand the general meaning of my statement.

Last edited by a moderator:
You wrote that you never dye your hair nor use any chemicals. EVERYTHING in life is a chemical. So I don't understand your statement. I also don't appreciate your tone.

Hope
Step one. Are you honestly telling me that you have No idea what someone means when they say that they do not use chemicals on their hair?
Ok then perhaps I should explain what people who leave out the word 'synthetic' mean when they say the word 'chemical'. They mean natural. I hope that this detail is now clear. But it does not solve the bigger issue that you didnt understand.

Step one. Are you honestly telling me that you have No idea what someone means when they say that they do not use chemicals on their hair?
Ok then perhaps I should explain what people who leave out the word 'synthetic' mean when they say the word 'chemical'. They mean natural. I hope that this detail is now clear. But it does not solve the bigger issue that you didnt understand (given that you are here to teach others).

Step two. I did not make the initial statement here that one STILL HAS TO WAIT after creating HP JUST like in CP when this is FALSE. One can let the soap harden through time but once ph has reached neutral and the gel phase is complete. Then the soap is done. It is SAFE to use because the criteria is the ph. Need vs HAVE TO. As I have stated several times already. This was not ME picking or as you wished to label my defense of facts as 'argumentative' in response to several people falsely claiming that safety refers to weigh (they mentioned that one of the tests was to weight the soap before 'cure' and after as a proof) or hardness or they wouldnt say HAVE TO.
I was also accused of misinterpreting an article when all I did was pull out the words used in the article. If that is misinterpreting then perhaps it says something about the article and not the reader or quoter.
Another point that I have seen here is that CP and HP are hot topics. If this is the case then one cannot call oneself an unbiased scientist but more emotionally effected by conclusions that people draw. Science and philosophy (reason) should, nay, must be independent of emotion or personal preference or politics otherwise lets go run for government instead of making soap because we do not belong in a factual field.

Step two. I did not make the initial statement here that one STILL HAS TO WAIT after creating HP JUST like in CP when this is FALSE. One can let the soap harden through time but once ph has reached neutral and the gel phase is complete. Then the soap is done. It is SAFE to use because the criteria is the ph. Need vs HAVE TO. As I have stated several times already. This was not ME picking or as you wished to label my defense of facts as 'argumentative' in response to several people falsely claiming that safety refers to weight (they mentioned that one of the tests was to weigh the soap before 'cure' and after as a proof) or hardness or they wouldnt say HAVE TO.
I was also accused of misinterpreting an article when all I did was pull out the words used in the article. If that is misinterpreting then perhaps it says something about the article and not the reader or quoter.
Another point that I have seen here is that CP and HP are hot topics. If this is the case then one cannot call oneself an unbiased scientist but more emotionally effected by conclusions that people draw. Science and philosophy (reason) should, nay, must be independent of emotion or personal preference or politics otherwise lets go run for government instead of making soap because we do not belong in a factual field.

Step three:
Reference was made to 'mushy' soap. This is an assumption without ground.
Another assumption was made that the soap was being sold in fact I didn't even initially say that it was used. It would be better to ask - what was the as you called it 'impatience' for. And I would have gladly answered, to understand the results of the test.

You wrote that you never dye your hair nor use any chemicals. EVERYTHING in life is a chemical. So I don't understand your statement.

Hope
Ok then perhaps I should explain what people who leave out the word 'synthetic' mean when they say the word 'chemical'. They mean natural. I hope that this detail is now clear. But it does not solve the bigger issue that you didnt understand.

Ok ladies, take a step back. It's been said before in every forum I've ever been in. You can't read tone into written comments so it's easy to read something into comments that may not be there. Holi, I think Hope Ann was just wanting some insight into your hair care routine. Usually when one talks about not using chemicals in the hair, they're referring to the fact that their hair is uncoloured. What do you mean when you say "natural" hair care?

Step two. I did not make the initial statement here that one STILL HAS TO WAIT after creating HP JUST like in CP when this is FALSE. One can let the soap harden through time but once ph has reached neutral and the gel phase is complete. Then the soap is done. It is SAFE to use because the criteria is the ph. Need vs HAVE TO. As I have stated several times already. This was not ME picking or as you wished to label my defense of facts as 'argumentative' in response to several people falsely claiming that safety refers to weigh (they mentioned that one of the tests was to weight the soap before 'cure' and after as a proof) or hardness or they wouldnt say HAVE TO.

This topic has been discussed many, many times in this forum. There is a difference between saponification and cure. What you're referring to here is saponification. With HP, the soap is saponified by the application of external heat and the process is completed once there's no more zap. CP soap saponifies on its own (with gel or not) and reaches the point of saponification within the first 24-48 hours. At that point, both are safe to use. However, neither is at its best. That's where cure comes in. Cure takes time and happens at a much deeper level in both CP and HP. Incidentally, soap does not have a neutral pH and never will.

Ok ladies, take a step back. It's been said before in every forum I've ever been in. You can't read tone into written comments so it's easy to read something into comments that may not be there. Holi, I think Hope Ann was just wanting some insight into your hair care routine. Usually when one talks about not using chemicals in the hair, they're referring to the fact that their hair is uncoloured. What do you mean when you say "natural" hair care?

This topic has been discussed many, many times in this forum. There is a difference between saponification and cure. What you're referring to here is saponification. With HP, the soap is saponified by the application of external heat and the process is completed once there's no more zap. CP soap saponifies on its own (with gel or not) and reaches the point of saponification within the first 24-48 hours. At that point, both are safe to use. However, neither is at its best. That's where cure comes in. Cure takes time and happens at a much deeper level in both CP and HP. Incidentally, soap does not have a neutral pH and never will.
I think that you have said everything here that I was saying. Thank you.
My job is done.
And yes natural is no synthetics. Finally.

No, I do not know what they mean. Many people don't understand science and truly believe that "natural" products are chemical free. Some use the false term "chemical free" to indicate no synthetic ingredients while others mean it to indicate no synthetic ingredients that are considered harsh or toxic. I'm sure there are other interpretations as well but these are some of the most common ones. Therefore, I asked for clarification of what you meant, as your words were imprecise and did not clearly communicate to me your intention. There really is no reason to be combative when asked for clarification.

As for the rest of your comments, please start your own thread for it. You can ask admin to move them. It's considered rude to go off topic, as it makes it hard for others when they're reading through a thread to get information on the topic in the subject line but then encounter a lot of comments on a different topic that they have to scroll through. When you read through the forum, you'll see this mentioned many times. For example, Zaneys No-Slime Castille thread.

Hope

About the ph
No, I do not know what they mean. Many people don't understand science and truly believe that "natural" products are chemical free. Some use the false term "chemical free" to indicate no synthetic ingredients while others mean it to indicate no synthetic ingredients that are considered harsh or toxic. I'm sure there are other interpretations as well but these are some of the most common ones. Therefore, I asked for clarification of what you meant, as your words were imprecise and did not clearly communicate to me your intention. There really is no reason to be combative when asked for clarification.

As for the rest of your comments, please start your own thread for it. You can ask admin to move them. It's considered rude to go off topic, as it makes it hard for others when they're reading through a thread to get information on the topic in the subject line but then encounter a lot of comments on a different topic that they have to scroll through. When you read through the forum, you'll see this mentioned many times. For example, Zaneys No-Slime Castille thread.

Hope
Thank you for this education.

Latest posts

Back