Recipe Feedback please, how do you think I can improve this soap?

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Elizevt

Reaction score
Hi there all.

So I made a new soap.
I would like to ask my fellow soapers and soaping gurus to have a look at the recipe and let me know what you think of it?
Do you predict or expect anything negative from this recipe? or any oils that might cause a problem?

Ps, I did keep the coconut oil very low because my husband and my skin is so cracked and dry from all the hand sanitiser.
I wanted to make a gentle soap that isn't too stripping.

Do you have any advice on how I can improve this soap. ?

TIA :)

My 2nd batch.jpg

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are interested and have a good source of shea butter I will share my high shea butter recipe. It is a very gentle soap. PM if you would like the recipe.

BattleGnome

Reaction score
I’d lower your castor oil %. I hear anything over 10% can cause softness issues (I’m allergic to shipping costs and don’t use it myself).

other than that it looks in the ballpark of my favorite lard recipe. It’s useable after a month but magic happens after 3 months. If this isn’t perfect after an initial cure make a note to check it monthly to see how it changes

Elizevt

Reaction score
I’d lower your castor oil %. I hear anything over 10% can cause softness issues
Thanks, @BattleGnome, I'll give it a try. My very first recipe had about 25% Almond oil, As per advice from a forum member, I lowered it and added a bit of shea butter for this 2nd batch.

But I think I'll try adding salt or try to find a source of sodium lactate in town to add hardness.
I also just received a bag of silkworm Silk roving today. 🤩🥰 It feels amazing!!! I'm going to make another small soap batch this weekend to try it out.

It’s useable after a month but magic happens after 3 months.
I'm normally very naughty and I use my soap as soon as it hits 4 weeks. But with this batch, I'm going to set a few aside with notes "do not use before October /Nov / Dec etc" or something like that. I'v cut them into little 50gram blocks, so I'll try one block every month and see how it performs.

Thanks for your feedback