Recipe Feedback please, how do you think I can improve this soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizevt

Reaction score
Hi there all.

So I made a new soap.
I would like to ask my fellow soapers and soaping gurus to have a look at the recipe and let me know what you think of it?
Do you predict or expect anything negative from this recipe? or any oils that might cause a problem?

Ps, I did keep the coconut oil very low because my husband and my skin is so cracked and dry from all the hand sanitiser.
I wanted to make a gentle soap that isn't too stripping.

Do you have any advice on how I can improve this soap. ?

TIA :)

My 2nd batch.jpg

I’d lower your castor oil %. I hear anything over 10% can cause softness issues (I’m allergic to shipping costs and don’t use it myself).

other than that it looks in the ballpark of my favorite lard recipe. It’s useable after a month but magic happens after 3 months. If this isn’t perfect after an initial cure make a note to check it monthly to see how it changes

I’d lower your castor oil %. I hear anything over 10% can cause softness issues

Thanks, @BattleGnome, I'll give it a try. My very first recipe had about 25% Almond oil, As per advice from a forum member, I lowered it and added a bit of shea butter for this 2nd batch.

But I think I'll try adding salt or try to find a source of sodium lactate in town to add hardness.
I also just received a bag of silkworm Silk roving today. 🤩🥰 It feels amazing!!! I'm going to make another small soap batch this weekend to try it out.

It’s useable after a month but magic happens after 3 months.

I'm normally very naughty and I use my soap as soon as it hits 4 weeks. But with this batch, I'm going to set a few aside with notes "do not use before October /Nov / Dec etc" or something like that. I'v cut them into little 50gram blocks, so I'll try one block every month and see how it performs.

Thanks for your feedback

Latest posts

Back