Recipe affecting mold release?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unmouton

Reaction score
I have these lovely decorative molds (heavy duty ones from brambleberry, I was lucky enough to purchase them before they were discontinued. They're fantastic!) that are sometimes a challenge to work with.

I line them with mineral oil to aid with release, which helps. However, it seems that some recipes release easier than others, some recipes stay mush at the bottom of the mold and never cure, and I cannot find the common denominator. Castor oil and olive oil in higher percentages clearly cause issues, but does anyone have a recipe recommendation that facilitates easy release of decorative molds? (Hardens quickly, and isn't too sticky.)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you can offer!

I have heard that spraying with Pam before using the molds may help. There is apparently not only canola oil in it, but something else as well. Also putting the mold in the freezer for a bit may help.

there is lecithin in the spray oils that might help, but I think a non-saponifying oil like mineral is your best bet

to aid in release, try making sure you get a complete gel in your soaps. you will have to insulate and probably ADD heat as well - for example by putting in an insulated box/cooler with some logs of soap if you do those, or on a heating pad (or in a cooler with a heating pad)

I grease mine with cyclo,make sure they gel,& either use a formula with a hardness factor >40(soapcalc) or add 2% sodium lactate.And sometimes the freezer on top of all that. Only do a couple of soaps in the ind. moulds cos they're such a pita!

Back