My failed experiment with castile with Black sea lye

Discussion in 'Recipe Feedback' started by Fiut, Sep 9, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

  1. Sep 9, 2019 #1

    Fiut

    Fiut

    Fiut

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2019
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Hi everyone!
    I tried to make a non slim castile according to this recipe https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/zanys-no-slime-castile.72620/
    The recipe is with quite big water discount and using a faux sea water as liquid.
    In my country there is a fantastic thing called Black sea lye. https://www.luga.bg/en/lye_en/ It's actually not alcaline,has pH-6,59
    - Total mineralization: 340-370gr/l.
    - Content of magnesium salts (MgSO4 and MgCl2): 230-280gr/l.
    - Content of alkali chloride (NaCl and KCl): 80-95 g/l.
    So far so good. You can see the mineralisation is very high. My thoughts were to add more to compensate this, so I intentionally added not 150 ml, but 180 ml of it.
    The recipe was :
    650 g EVO (200 of them infused with laurel leaves)
    180 ml Black sea lye
    88 g lye (set to 0% SF)

    Now for the disaster. The lye solution was not quite solution, but mashed potato like mass. I added a bit more water to make it liquid. At this point I feeled a bit nervous, so added the lye "milk" still hot (I understand it now.) The mass got pretty heavy trace fast, so after a minute of SB I poured it in the mold. It looked like glossy butter cream. The batch was good looking until next morning (after 12 h apr) There were big puddles of liquid. Zap was strong. Cut to pieces, there were pockets with liquid here and there. I'm not sure what happened - there is no oil separation, the mass is not soft, but obviously lye is out. My other recipe looks much lighter and no liquid is leaking, despite the water percent was much more. I added BIack sea lye much more there, but diluted in some water. Guess I just panicked and did not handle it right.
     
  2. Sep 9, 2019 #2

    Fiut

    Fiut

    Fiut

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2019
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    To illustrate. This is leaking prior cut.
    [​IMG]
    The cut pieces. Liquid is very lye heavy.
    [​IMG]
    And update 4 days after. Some crystals on the surface plus the mass feels a bit like rubber.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

    So can I use this somehow? Can it turn to soap at all? How can I compensate missing lye?
     
  3. Sep 11, 2019 #3

    Zany_in_CO

    Zany_in_CO

    Zany_in_CO

    Saponifier

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2017
    Messages:
    3,828
    Likes Received:
    2,646
    Location:
    SE Denver CO
    Bump.gif I'm no help so I'm bumping this thread to see if someone else out there can help. ;)
     
    Fiut likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2019 #4

    Fiut

    Fiut

    Fiut

    Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2019
    Messages:
    20
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    Sofia, Bulgaria
    Well, I plan to shred the pieces, make a weak lye solution and add little by little in a double boiler, to saponify all oil amount. After that I'l check with Ph meter I have to be sure it's done. I'll a spoon or two yogurt at the end. But still waiting my mojo to do it.
     
    Zany_in_CO likes this.
  5. Sep 12, 2019 #5

    Zany_in_CO

    Zany_in_CO

    Zany_in_CO

    Saponifier

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2017
    Messages:
    3,828
    Likes Received:
    2,646
    Location:
    SE Denver CO
    I sure wish I could have been more help, but it does sound like you have an idea of what to do next. Keep us posted.
     

Share This Page