Rebatched soap possibly gone wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catbinch

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i am in a conundrum.
Today i tried to rebatch soap that didnt take a fragrance oil very well, so i dissolved it in water (enough to cover the top of the shredded soap) and let it sit until it coagulated to a very very thick slime, then i put it in a pot to heat up on mid-low. After that is when it gets wacky.
It turned to a very shimmery green liquid, like a green Viniq. I turned it up to mid-high, to try and boil some of the liquid off, to no avail. I decided to try and leave it on low to get a little thicker, again to no avail. So now i have an entire pot full of liquid soap that wont thicken up. Is this normal? Ive rebatched a few times in the past and have never never had this happen.
20180520_202345.jpg (its not this ugly green in person, dont fret)

You say you've rewatched before, but that seems like way too much water. Do you usually use this much water?
I used a few ounces more than usual, because the soap was 6 months old, usually all the excess would boil off though.

I agree that you used way too much water. You need very little liquid to rebatch. I don't like to rebatch so generally just shred and add to another batch as PJ recommended.

That seems like an awful lot of water to me, too.

When it comes to rebatching, I've found that less is more when it comes to how much water to add. No matter how old the soap, I always start out with adding only enough water that will dampen/moisten my soap gratings, i.e., they are not covered over or swimming in water, nor is there even enough water to pool up on the bottom of my pot to be poured out.

From there (as things are cooking/softening), I play it by sight, ie, I add only enough water as things are cooking to keep the soap from drying out. In order to prevent myself from adding too much water, I use a spray bottle and spritz only enough to keep things on the moist side.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back