Rebatch Recipes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shellytron

Reaction score
I am new to soap making, so before I dive into full-blown CP, I have been making a few batches of hand milled soaps. I am having a difficult time find recipes specifically for rebatch soap. Is it possible to convert CP or melt and pour recipes to make a rebatch version? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
Shelly

The recipe is: grated soap + a little water + gentle heat + optional additives. You can't find one, because it's too simple :)

You're not really looking for a recipe, but for a method. That being said, don't even google for "rebatch recipe" (but either rebatch soap or rebatch tutorial).

For heating, you can use a double boiler or crockpot, or just a plastic baggie in hot water.

found these tutorials by searching THIS site:
http://smftutorials.com/drupal/how-to-m ... p-tutorial
http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/soapm ... ngsoap.htm

Also, it will be helpful to search video sites like youtube.

Couple of options:

You can make a basic cp and then rebatch it with extras. I don't do that, but there is a book in which that is the authors primary method. She gives a variety of recipes in the book that are supposed to be good for rebatching. Sorry, I can't remember the name of the book right now, but a search on Amazon and reading the reviews you could probably find it. I borrowed it from my library.

You can't really rebatch melt and pour in the usual sense. It would just melt again. However, if you don't want to work with cp, melt and pour is a great option. You can find lots of info on the internet. I really like the soap queen videos. She gives great information. Brambleberry (soap queen owner) sells nice melt and pour.

Brambleberry also sells soap for rebatching and has directions. That is a cp soap already grated up for you. I never used it, so I can't personally vouch for it, but seems like a good option if you don't want to make cp.

I will offer my opinion that rbatching is harder than cp, at least I find it so. Takes so long to melt the soap into any semblance of something smooth and moldable. However, if you are not in a situation where you can safely work with lye, it, (or melt and pour) would be a great option.

Thanks for your input. I just wasn't sure what amounts of essential oils to use etc.

Thanks! :D

The amounts of additives to be used are similar to CP, even if some differences do exist (probably essential oils behave closer to HP than CP).

Your supplier should know the recommended usage for essential oils, or you can find that from other sources.

ToniD said:
Brambleberry also sells soap for rebatching and has directions. That is a cp soap already grated up for you. I never used it, so I can't personally vouch for it, but seems like a good option if you don't want to make cp.

I can vouch for BB's rebatch bases :) I use the GM base and it has really nice - thick, creamy lather.

I've tried the various recommended methods for melting (boil-in-bag, oven & microwave) and find the microwave the fastest method. Just heat for a couple of minutes, stir and repeat.

I like it because I can do as little as one bar at a time to experiment with different additives. Have added things like mango butter, babassu oil, & clay for DH's shave soap. Made salt bars too - lather decreased a little tho.

I'm liking the rebatch bases far more than M&P.

Latest posts

Back