Really Strange Question...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgood86

Reaction score
Hi again! ;) As I was standing at my bathroom vanity counting a minute through for an eye drop, I happened to gaze upon a rose floral scented moisturizing body mist. My strange question is...has anyone ever used something like this to scent their soap? The ingredients on it are:

water, propylene glycol, peg-40 hydrogenated castor oil, laureth-9, glycerin, peg/ppg-14/4 dimethicone, fragrance, phenoxyethanol, sodium citrate, methylparaben, citric acid, butylparaben, ethylparaben, isobutylparaben, propylparaben (=/- red 4, red 33, blue 1)

Thank you!

Fragrance is so far down the list of ingredients that it probably wouldn't come through saponification. I don't know what the rest of the ingredients would do for your soap but the preservatives might well be invalidated by either by soaping temperatures or the high pH. Not that you need preservatives in CP soap. But I don't see a lot of benefit in using this product in CP overall. I'd keep it for its intended purpose.

It will most likely just fade away to nothing, and the alcohol will wreck havoc with your soap. I wanted to use my husband's Old Spice - but finally decided it wouldn't hold up. Although I still may try it just for experimentation's sake!! Maybe HP - and hope it doesn't just burn off. Worth a try I suppose ~

Ditto what the others have said. The fragrances that are used to scent soap are highly concentrated oils and are designed to survive saponification. A spray mist is not.

Soaplady22 said:
I wanted to use my husband's Old Spice - but finally decided it wouldn't hold up. Although I still may try it just for experimentation's sake!! Maybe HP - and hope it doesn't just burn off. Worth a try I suppose ~

Better yet- go online to Oregon Trails soaps and buy a bottle of their Classic Old Spice FO dupe. My hubby and teenaged son love the scent of Old Spice (the Classic scent, not all the new fangled ones they've recently been coming out with). OT's dupe is spot-on perfect. It causes havoc in my CP, so I have to HP it, but it's so worth it.

IrishLass :)

Ok that's great info to know. I was just super curious. I figure it was better to ask the professionals that waste good oils for a trial run on something I could have questioned on the forum. :D Thank you. And thank you for letting us know about Old Spice IrishLass. My son loves it as well. I am sorry if I annoy anyone with my questions. I just get thinking and sometimes strange things cross my mind and I want to know the probables on it.

mgood86 said:
Ok that's great info to know. I was just super curious. I figure it was better to ask the professionals that waste good oils for a trial run on something I could have questioned on the forum. :D Thank you. And thank you for letting us know about Old Spice IrishLass. My son loves it as well. I am sorry if I annoy anyone with my questions. I just get thinking and sometimes strange things cross my mind and I want to know the probables on it.

You're welcome. :) And never be afraid to ask. We all get to thinking strange things sometimes, too. :wink:

IrishLass :)

I was going to add: there are no strange questions on this board; only strange people. :roll:

And thanks!! I'll go look up that dupe at Oregon Trails. I used to buy from them back in the old days ~

Back