"Gel" Lotion - How is it done?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Can anyone tell me how to make a "gel" lotion?

I love the product made by Proactiv called Green Tea Moisturizer. Instead of being white and opaque, it's semi-transparent/translucent. This is a great (but expensive) product.

I'm not great at lotion making, but have necessarily become capable due to skin problems.

My question is more how do I make a translucent (non-white) gel lotion than how do I reproduce this exact product.

Again, I'm not savvy enough to (nor do I want to) reverse engineer this, but can anyone suggest a base recipe for a "gel" lotion?

The Proactiv Green Tea Moisturizer's ingredients are: Water (aqua), Glycerin, Epigallocatechin gallate, Retinyl palmitate, Iris florentina root extract, Macadamia ternifolia seed (macadamia nut) oil, Squalane, Ethylhexyl palmitate, Dimethicone, Allantoin, Sodium hyaluronate, Butylene glycol, PPG-2 Myristyl Ether Propionate, Polyquaternium-11, Zinc pca, Hydrogenated polydecene, Caprylic/capric triglyceride, C12-15 lactate, Sodium polyacrylate, Trideceth-6, Phenoxyethanol, Disodium edta, Alcohol, Ethylparaben, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (parfum).

Thanks!

I can't answer your question! But I can bump it for you and suggest that you try making a regular lotion before venturing into the unknown...

tasha said:
I can't answer your question! But I can bump it for you and suggest that you try making a regular lotion before venturing into the unknown...
Thanks for your reply Tasha.

I believe you misread my post.

I didn't say that I've not made any lotions. I have made many lotions (and creams, and ointments) but I still consider myself an amateur.

I stick to several base recipes that I know perform well and have a long life expectancy. My tinkering is usually limited to adding a new ingredient or two, changing oil:water proportions, trying a new fragrance -- that sort of thing.

My true love is soapmaking (strawberries and cream cold process is in the refrigerator right now!), and that's what's led me into this bath and body hobby. It's great when a hobby also fills a need arising from skin sensitivities.

I've even made gelled aloe which almost has the consistency and look that I'm aiming for.

Any suggestions?

I'm pretty sure that the Sodium polyacrylate is the gelling agent along with Butylene Glycol which is a precursor to polymers. You might be able to find a pre-neutralized polymer, but as the rest of the ingredients, that would only be a wild guess.

anonymoususer.cleveland said:
I believe you misread my post.

OH! Well my mistake, certainly. I wish I had tried the lotion you're speaking of so I could give some input =\ best of luck, carry on!

really good question!

I have seen clear lotions made with Aloe Vera... not sure how much that helps you... but I bet if you combined aloe, glycerin and some oils (and of course preservatives) itd make a clear lotion?

(I dont consider myself an expert on lotions by any means, and there is still much to learn... just posing an idea :) )

To the person that emailed me anonymously; yes, I'd love a moisturizing lotion exactly the consistency of hand sanitizer (gelled alcohol).

Thanks, Will

soapbuddy said:
I'm pretty sure that the Sodium polyacrylate is the gelling agent along with Butylene Glycol which is a precursor to polymers. You might be able to find a pre-neutralized polymer, but as the rest of the ingredients, that would only be a wild guess.
Wow. I re-realize how dumb I am. Your reply fascinates me but it's going to require hours of googling for me to deciper and understand. Thanks! I don't give up too easily!

Will

anonymoususer.cleveland said:
soapbuddy said:
Wow. I re-realize how dumb I am. Your reply fascinates me but it's going to require hours of googling for me to deciper and understand. Thanks! I don't give up too easily!

Will
You're not dumb. I work with polymers on occassion, so I know a wee bit about them.

Back