Really quick trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExplodingPie

Reaction score
This is the first time I made goat's milk soap. I prepared the lye solution in a water bath with frozen goat milk. When I added the solution to the oils, and blended it, it took 3 seconds to thicken up and reach trace. Is this actually trace, and is it going to be safe to use? The recipe was high in CO.

3 secs? wow! even my pine tar batch lasts longer than that, lol. like TEG said, it will be best if you post your recipe here, including any additives that you were using for that batch.

75% Coconut oil
10% Olive Oil
8% Lard
5% Castor Oil
2% Shea Butter

Milk:Lye Ratio is 2.439:1

I added the FOs and sea salt after trace.

I tried to make a batch with frangipani and honeysuckle FO for my mom, that set in about 3 seconds, heated up really hot and I just rammed it into the mold in chunks. It still turned out safe in the end, just not pretty as I didn't have time to colour it. It could be a fragrance issue.

Oh no scratch that it can't be if you added it afterwards.

what was your temp? soaping hot can def make trace come faster.

soap with high CO content is prone to overheating, but i didn't remember my full CO batch to trace that fast. i soaped cool though. room temp. even then, it got very hot in the mold, the soap produced weird bubbles on the top, not to mention it cracked here and there.

but let's not fiddle with that. your question is, is it safe to use? i think so. it might not be the prettiest soap, but it will be safe to use. you can do a tongue test after you unmold to make sure, but i reckon it'll be okay anyway. give it a good cure :)

Back