Ready to soap... and a bit nervous

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nurse_75

Reaction score
I am one of those people who research extensively before doing anything... travel, job, real estate, new car etc... I approached soaping the same way and after reading everything I could get my hands on at the library... texting, calling and messaging my dear friend Nattynoo and new friend Cuckoo Bananas (thanks girls) for advice I think I am ready to start.

I picked up my 15kgs of palm oil (veg shortening) today and am wondering where to hide it all from my hubby :)

Youngest bubba in bed, toddler in daycare and I am about to go weigh and measure out my oils.

I am hoping to make an unscented goats milk soap. Probably stepping right out of my depth but it is the one I really want to try first.

Wish me luck. I will be back with pics if it turns out...

Sharna

Wow with 15KG of palm oil on your hands you have a lot of soaping to do!

However, the possibilities are endless and I can gaurentee you won't get bored.

Tim - that was the best value quantity I could find. The health food store had it in a litre bottle, but this was from a wholesale catering supplier.

Soapy Gurl - I am all decked out in my protective gear... Full PPE!

Lindy - I am hoping to get a reasonably light coloured soap... fingers crossed :)

Yay!!
You'll be right. Just get in there & do it!!
Agreed.... with 15kgs of palm on your hands if it doesn't turn out you can just try again & again & again...till your a hopeless addict like the rest of us around here. :lol:

Thanks Nat and CB.

No soaping going on here tonight. :(

Kids late to bed due to tantrums and the little fella feeling miserable. He has HFM (hand, foot and mouth) and is just beside himself due to mouth ulcers. I was up most of the night with him last night.

I just don't have any soapy-mojo tonight and would hate to make a mistake.

Tomorrow!

I took a pic of all my soaping tools and ingredients and had a little 'awww' moment... its all waiting for me in the laundry.

Sharna

So sorry to hear about your little one feeling poorly. :(

I think you were right to postpone it - it will be all the more exciting when you can give it your full attention (not to mention safer!)

I research everything to death too and just made my first CP soap last week - was not anywhere near as scary as I anticipated. :) I'm hoping to make another batch tonight after my own wee one is in bed.

I look forward to pictures!

I felt the exact same way. First I used the excuse that all my ingredients hadn't come in yet (even though I had the olive oil and could have at least made some castille soap). Then all the ingredients came in and I was still besides myself. It took me 2 weeks after I finally got everything to get the courage to get in that kitchen and make some soap but OMG once you do it's so magical...especially after the soap is ready to be cut out of the molds and you get a little test piece and let it lather up...you feel so proud of yourself! My bf calls me the mad scientist LOL

new

what oils are you going to use? I really like, po, oo, co castor, shea, but you can do a nice one with just oo and po. good luck.

Soaped!

Didnt do the goats milk.

Went with a basic castille type bar.

All went well with the weighing and measuring.

It traced pretty quickly and went to a consistency of thick custard and then I poured it into the mould.

I am a little concerned it was still a bit soft but time will tell.

Not bad that I did it all in 45 mins (the window where my toddler and baby were both asleep at the same time.)

Now to wake said monsters and take the eldest to the dentist for her first ever check up.

Yay! Soap virgin no longer.

Sharna

Tracey - I added a blended EO, and I am almost ashamed to admit I think I got that part wrong. I need to go back and check my measurements again. Anyway... the soap is turning out well.

I just checked and it is still quite warm. I am not insulating it as it is about 30 degrees here at the moment. It is hardening really fast but I can still make an indent with my finger. I just tried to ease one of the small bars out of the mould and it is abit too soft.

Is that quick for soap to be ready to take out of the mould? It has only been in there for 2 hours!

Anyway... live and learn. I am hoping it will be ready to come out this evening and i can make another batch tonight!!!

Sharna

Sharna, I have had soap harden quickly like that and mine have all turned out ok....just be careful it doesnt over heat or it can crack.....what were the EO's u used

CB - It is great to get the first batch out of the way. I wont do anymore tonight as I am on an early start tomorrow but will do some this weekend!

Traceyann - I just got the soaps out of the moulds and they were the consistency of modelling clay, but a little firmer on the outside. I think they gelled as there is a distinct darker centre and lighter edge. I will go check what was on the bottle of the EO's. I probably shouldnt have put it in but felt I could add something seeing as the rest went so smoothly... famous last thought I suppose.

Back