Raw Milk Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jolibathandbody

Reaction score
I made an attempt to make a batch of lavender milk soap using raw milk. I used chilled milk in a bath of ice water but once I added the lye to the milk the temp quickly went up to 140 degrees.....I suppose I should have added the lye VERY slowly. Does anyone have any specific instructions on how to do this including some time estimates. I ended up neutralizing the solution with vinegar & dumping it, made regular lavender mint soap instead. The milk/lye solution turned orange & curdled on the top, it smelled of ammonia. I read on another post using goats milk that I should freeze the milk - I'm going to try doing that in ice cube trays & using a combo on chilled milk & milk cubes....I'd appreciate some advice as I've read that raw-milk soap is high in antioxidants & is very good for the skin

I am assuming you used cow milk. Did you skim the cream before you used the milk? I've used raw milk but I always skimmed it because the cream will burn and/or curdle very fast. I also chill it to just about freezing... where it's still liquid, but there's little bits of ice in it. Usually only takes a short time in the freezer.

Working with raw milk is always tricky, for me anyway. You have to be very careful with your temps. It's not easy, but if you can keep your milk/lye mixture at or about at 100 deg. it should work out well in the end.

I want to add I love useing raw milk, either cow or goat. My soaps come out much nicer then when I use processed milks.

Jan

I add the lye to milk very very slowly, a tiny amount at a time and stir extra well in between.So far this works well for me.

HTH

Kitn

I always use frozen or slushy milk when I use it. It comes out fine that way. If it isn't, it curdles and stinks the place up. I've never tried raw milk though. I think I read that you have to pastuerize it first, but don't quote me. Last night I soaped with frozen SOLID goat milk and it worked great. Give it a try.

Kitn said:
I add the lye to milk very very slowly, a tiny amount at a time and stir extra well in between.So far this works well for me.

HTH

Kitn

I do this as well and also frozen. Would love to get to the point of using my goat's raw milk. I slacked on breeding them this year :(

I'm jealous. I'd love to live where I could have goats and other farm animals. I'm a sucker for a furry face. :wink:

LJA said:
I'm jealous. I'd love to live where I could have goats and other farm animals. I'm a sucker for a furry face. :wink:

Yeah! We have a few furry faces around here! Two horses, two miniature goats, two dogs, and the queen of it all, the cat! Small, but enough! The goat are a real crack up! In the summer, we call it cocktail entertainment :lol:

I just wish I would have gotten my butt in gear to get the girls bred so I could have fresh milk! I don't think you need to pasturize it. Paul, the old mod here, used to use it unpasturized as I recall.

LJA you sound like me... 1 cow, 2 goats, 2 horses, 3 dogs, and 2 cats to oversee it all. LOL

When I use raw milk that's exactly what it is. Completely raw. The only thing I do is skim the cream because it tends to burn easily.

JanO said:
LJA you sound like me... 1 cow, 2 goats, 2 horses, 3 dogs, and 2 cats to oversee it all. LOL

When I use raw milk that's exactly what it is. Completely raw. The only thing I do is skim the cream because it tends to burn easily.

Love it! We just have two Nigerian Dwarfs and the rest of the crew. Do you use cow or goat milk or both? I also understand that the lactic acid naturally makes a harder bar.

I use both. Origionally I only used cow milk for soaps. I never planned on having goats at all until my kids brought them home. After we bred them the first time I decided to use their milk also.

Depending on what I'm trying to achieve I now choose which one to use accordingly. The cow milk seems to be a little heavier then the goat milk, so if I'm making something special for my grandkids (Grandaughter has a lot of allergies and only uses Grandma's goatmilk oatmeal soaps) or if I know something is going to be specifically for someone who is sensitive, I stick to the goat milk. For just general family use, the cow milk is fine. Does that make sense?

Yup, makes total sense!

What did you do with the kids? Sell them? I don't have a buck and don't want to hassle with one, which is why I did not breed my goats this year. Catching their heat, though, is tricky. :?

Actually I donate the doelings to the local 4H program as soon as they are big enough to leave mama. The club raises them then sells them and uses the funds for other projects. The bucklings usually end up at the sale barn.

I don't have a buck either and have no desire for one. I do however, have a girlfriend who does have one so I take the girls to her house for a visit when the time is near. She doesn't charge me very much for the time they are there, usually just enough to cover feed.

Back