Questions about using palm oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kansas Farm Girl

Reaction score
I haven't used palm very much, it's not easy to get here, but I did get some. Do I need to melt it and stir it each time before I use it? Any advice on it's use? Thanks

I have never melted it completely and stirred it before taking some out. Its soft enough to scoop out so I just scoop, weigh, then melt. Haven't had any problems with this, I also superfat a little bit higher typically. I like 6-7% because anything below that dries my skin out regardless of the oils used.

I don't use palm, but most soapers that I know that use it do heat it & stir it because otherwise you can have separation issues.

I don't use palm any more either but when I did I melted it when I first got it and put it in smaller containers for easier use.

mine is semi-liquid at room temp, I just shake up the jug really well before weighing out what I need.

If it is regular palm (not the homogenized "shortening" type), you need to melt it down, stir it well, and portion it out. The palm stearic has to be properly mixed/incorporated, or you are going to have issues with the final product. I used to use the organic palm that I had to melt down and portion out, but it was just too much work to melt and portion out 50 lbs. I switched to the "no-stir" from Columbus Foods. Much easier. :)

Back