Using Fresh Mountain Snow Melt for CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonja gapinski

Reaction score
We are an avid backpacking family and I recently collected some fresh mountain water to use for cold process soap. I'd like to make a few batches to give to other families we went with. So my question is: Do I really need to distill the water before using it, or can I simply boil it? I collected it straight from a source I trust. But I worry about any natural minerals or sediments that might be in the water. TIA!

This site says it better than I can -

https://www.ultimateguidetosoap.com...eally-necessary-and-does-it-have-any-benefits
"Contaminants found in undistilled water can cause complications and unwanted reactions in our soap. These include accelerated trace, oxidation, soap scum, decreased cleansing abilities, decreased lather performance, cloudiness in liquid soap, microbial contamination and more. Contaminants increase the risk of oxidation through excess oxygen and contact with metals. This increased risk of oxidation is often visible by signs of rancidity, which include the formation of DOS or Dreaded Orange Spots, discoloration, and foul odors. Another complication of undistilled water is the formation of soap scum. Two of the most common contaminants found in hard water are calcium and magnesium. When soap and minerals like calcium and magnesium are combined, a new chemical compound is formed most commonly called soap scum. Soap scum is created when the alkali cation is replaced by either calcium or magnesium. When the sodium cation from sodium stearate is replaced by calcium found in hard water, it forms calcium stearate, a white, poorly soluble substance most often seen as a film or residue in showers. Soap scum reduces the lathering ability of soap, forms insoluble compounds, increases the risk of rancidity and more."

So unless you know that your water is free from all minerals and/or contaminants it is better to use distilled water. If your mountain spring water is safe to drink, it would be a shame not to drink it

We are an avid backpacking family and I recently collected some fresh mountain water to use for cold process soap. I'd like to make a few batches to give to other families we went with. So my question is: Do I really need to distill the water before using it, or can I simply boil it? I collected it straight from a source I trust. But I worry about any natural minerals or sediments that might be in the water. TIA!
I've used sea water in some of my soaps (from the west coast of Vancouver Island). I do boil it for several minutes and allow it to cool before using it. I've been doing this for several years now and have had no issues at all. And I would think that snow melt is probably less contaminated than sea water (my opinion only).

I do the ocean water too, boil and filter.
Snow should be free of any minerals, as I understand. It is evaporated water, unless something got to it when it was on the ground. I wouldn't worry about it. When I was small, older ladies were collecting rainwater and it was the only water they used to wash their hair. It was considered very clean and soft water.
Well, it was before all this pollution and acid rains...

Growing up, during really big snow storms we would make snow ice cream. Sadly, that was many many years ago and not something I've ever done as an adult. Now I want a big storm! lol ... not.

If it is fresh fallen snow obtained a few hours after the start of the snowfall, it's probably pure water. But if it hit the ground and you were not there when it fell, I would also recommend boiling and filtering.

Latest posts

Back