Questions about Canadian labelling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Soooo I'm working on my soap labels and have a few questions about having to write the label information in english AND french.

1. The Canadian regulations say that we need to mark what the product is on the label if it is not "obvious". Do I need to write "handmade soap" on the label, or no? I'm not really sure how to judge whether or not it is obvious. I would say it is, but who knows! I have a label design done up that I really like that doesn't have room for "handmade soap" to be written, and since I think it's obvious that it's soap, I think I might want to leave it off..... if I'm allowed?

2. Do we need to write the Net Weight in french too? Ie: "Poids" <-- the french word for "weight". Seems kinda funny and I don't recall seeing the french word for weight on any soaps I've bought.

3. What exactly DOES need to be in french? I'm using the INCI names for the ingredients, and besides the name of the soap and my address, there's not much else on the label. I may put a warning on it like "please discontinue use if irritation occurs" - I think I would need to put that in french too, right?

If anyone can clarify some of this with me, I'd really appreciate it! TIA! :)

Here is what I understand to be correct:

1. The Canadian regulations say that we need to mark what the product is on the label if it is not "obvious". Do I need to write "handmade soap" on the label, or no? I'm not really sure how to judge whether or not it is obvious. I would say it is, but who knows! I have a label design done up that I really like that doesn't have room for "handmade soap" to be written, and since I think it's obvious that it's soap, I think I might want to leave it off..... if I'm allowed? Since it is obvious that the product is soap you don`t need to put that on the label....

2. Do we need to write the Net Weight in french too? Ie: "Poids" <-- the french word for "weight". Seems kinda funny and I don't recall seeing the french word for weight on any soaps I've bought. In Canada we are required to use metric measurements so you could put on it 100 gr (example) and you would be covered English/French.....

3. What exactly DOES need to be in french? I'm using the INCI names for the ingredients, and besides the name of the soap and my address, there's not much else on the label. I may put a warning on it like "please discontinue use if irritation occurs" - I think I would need to put that in french too, right? Since we are only required to put INCI on the label then we're covered regarding French on the Ingredients portion. If you want to put your warning on the label you need to put that in English & French...

HTH

Lindy

Thanks Lindy (I was hoping you were around!) ;)

So for the weight, do we not need to write "Net Weight:" or something like that before the "100 gr"?

Okay! Now I need someone who is fluent in french! LOL. I am putting a short warning on my labels and I'm trying to use an online translator to change what I've written to french. Sometimes translators are not that accurate, so if someone who is good at french (and grammar :p) could look at this and tell me if it makes sense in the french world, that'd be great! ;) Thanks!!

This is what it says in english:

Warning / Avertissement: Please refer to ingredient list before using.
Discontinue use if irritation occurs. Products containing essential oils should not be used by pregnant women or young children.

This is what the translator is telling me in french:

S'il vous plaît se référer à la liste d'ingrédient avant utiliser. Interrompre l'usage si l'irritation arrive. Les produits contenant des huiles essentielles ne devraient pas être utilisées par les femmes enceintes ou les jeunes enfants.

Does it make sense??

Hi Ashley ,

I read exactly what you wrote in English so it definitely does make sense.

Kitn

AshleyR said:
This is what it says in english:

Warning / Avertissement: Please refer to ingredient list before using.
Discontinue use if irritation occurs. Products containing essential oils should not be used by pregnant women or young children.

This is what the translator is telling me in french:

S'il vous plaît se référer à la liste d'ingrédient avant utiliser. Interrompre l'usage si l'irritation arrive. Les produits contenant des huiles essentielles ne devraient pas être utilisées par les femmes enceintes ou les jeunes enfants.

Does it make sense??

Sorry I missed this, Ashley. My French is very good (but not perfect). I would change the first sentences to read: "Consulter la liste d'ingrédients avant d'ultiliser. En cas d'irritation cutanée, interrompre l'usage." The final sentence reads fine to me, except that I would add the word "par" in front of "les jeunes enfants" (although I am uncertain as to whether it is grammatically necessary).

I think one of our members is from Montreal... can't remember which one, but I think she posted in one of the packaging threads. If she's a francophone Montrealer, she might be able to provide further input if you pm her.

Latest posts

Back