question on goats milk soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VCBath

Reaction score
All of our soaps we market as vegan and don't add any animal products but I have a request for some goats milk soap.

Yesterday I picked up some evaporated goats milk since the store didn't have whole or powder so this is what I am thinking my optiona are but not sure which would make the best soap.

1) I can discount my water for lye by half and add the goats milk at trace with my color and FO.

2) Mix the water and milk to make it whole and freeze it then slowly add my lye and pray to the gods that I dont burn the milk.

3) save the can milk for cooking and look for powder goats milk to add at trace with my FO and additives

I will be mixing the milk into Coconut, palm, sunflower, soybean, avocado oil and shea butter do you think that will be to rich of a bar? and should I force gel in the oven or do none gel since it has milk?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes

;) You can do any of those. If you sprinkle the lye very slowly over frozen milk and keep stirring, it won't burn but it will darken. Probably not enough to make your final soap much darker than normal though.

Kinda - The kinda is that you need at least as much water as lye to ensure it dissolves completely and stays dissolved. Make up the rest of the liquid with GM if you wish, added at trace
Yes
Kinds - milk powder isn't oil soluble so it's entirely possible you'd end up with gritty brown spots unless you mix the powder with water first. Tho sometimes it works.

Or a variation on 3. Let your lye water come down to working temp and add the GM powder to that. Avoids the burning and you can make sure it's completely dissolved. I actually prefer powdered to whole GM for just this reason.

I think canned goats milk makes a lovely bar of soap and noboby could tell the difference between the canned milk and fresh in a bar of my soap (except the canned made the soap darker tan in color). I get 2 batches of soap out of one can of milk because my goatsmilk soap recipe is for 12 ounces of total fluid. I mix the lye with 6 oz of water and then add 6 ounces of cold canned goatsmilk at trace. Easy peasey and no burned milk! The only thing is to add the goatsmilk at early trace because it speeds up trace so much. You may want to finish mixing with a wire whisk instead of stick blender especially if using floral or tempermental fragrance oils. Hope that helps! :D

i've had good luck doing half the water amount,if recipe calls for 12 oz.,i use 6 water for,mixing in lye& cooldown,have milk very cold,pour lye water into oils,stirring then stir in 6 oz milk,my soap came out almost white& ieven did a pink &green swirl &soap mainly white

memaw said:
i've had good luck doing half the water amount,if recipe calls for 12 oz.,i use 6 water for,mixing in lye& cooldown,have milk very cold,pour lye water into oils,stirring then stir in 6 oz milk,my soap came out almost white& ieven did a pink &green swirl &soap mainly white

if you put your goat milk soap in the freezer does it take longer 2 cure

Latest posts

Back