Question on FO - Seizing Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kj_nanny

Reaction score
Hello All:

I bought some Frangrance Oils without really checking into them. I bought them from a whole sale company called Scentations Incense. They sell a variety of FO, incense, body & bath items etc.. I was really excited to use this new fragrance that would go with a candle I bought called "Butt Naked." I also bought other oils to try. I was going along with a base soap that I always use which consists of lard, olive oil, canola oil, walnut oil, coconut oil, and sometimes caster oil.

When I reached trace I added the FO and OMG it started seizing up. I have never had this happen until now. I quickly dumped it in my soap mold and packed it down as it was firming up. It now looks like lumpy top with firm looking soap bottom. It smells great but I am disappointed. I am afraid to use any of the other FO.

What can I do with these oils? Is there a way to get around the seizing or am I just out of luck?

The website I got the soaps are :
http://www.scentsations4u.com/

Any ideas? Oh I do only cold processing.

I am also still fairly new soap maker - love it!!

Kathy[/url]

First - ARE THESE SKIN SAFE FOs? I kinda doubt that from the web site, but check with the vendor.

Second - did you use the retail (diluted) or wholesale oils?

Since it's an incense site I'd say the FOs are probably not formulated for use in CP soap. Sorry!

There are a few things you can try, but the might end up costing you more in other materials than new FOs would. You can use more water, add your FO to the oils before adding the lye, soaping cooler (room temp lye solution and pre-melted and cooled oils).

Your best bet is to HP them, IF they are skin safe. Otherwise I suggest you learn how to make incense!

The company did not say if they were skin safe.
I used the wholesale oils not the diluted.

The batch that I made I'll try it out at home. I wonder if these FO can be used in candle making?

I'll most likey try another oil. I'm too chicken to try another batch :(

Is there a way to tell what oils are soap safe?

Thanks for your help!
Kathy

if the FO is not skin safe, I'd not recommend using it yourself either. even if you don't break out in a rash - you never know what your skin might absorb or what kinds of sensitivities it might cause.

yea, I'm obsessive about this stuff, but heck - I have to be! I work in the fragrance manufacturing industry!

Latest posts

Back