Quantcast

Question on 1lb TOG mold

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Bret

Reaction score
I know Paul isn't here at the moment, but I want to pick your brains on this...

I got my 1lb mold yesterday (and it is just way too cute!). I did MP in it last night. I used the liner that came with it, and it leaked a bit. I lost about 1 tbs of soap from the bottom! Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I've never used a mold before. I thought I had the liner in right, but maybe I didn't. DH suggested lining it with wax paper, then the liner...

Good thing is the soap scraped right off, no damage/discolor to the mold.

Also, it is supposed to hold 1 lb oils and 1 oz FO. I did 1 lb mp soap, 1 oz fo, and it was barely half way. Think I can I do 1 1/2 lbs mp? Is it supposed to fill to the top?

The soap did turn out nicely in it, I'll post photos this weekend!

G

He did tell me some people said it leaks about 1 TB or so. try what your husband said and use wax paper first. As far as making MP, I have no clue LOL.. I havent made it in about 5 years.

Bret

Reaction score
Yeah, it wasn't a lot. Enough for my husband to yell for me and tell me something was "wrong" :) I actually scraped up what had leaked after it hardened a bit and dropped it back in the top. You can't even tell. I'll have to try the wax paper after I get more soap base.

pepperi27

Reaction score
Well I will definitely tell you that yes do 1 1/2lbs of mp maybe a little more to fill it to the top. I have a 1lb mold from another company and that is what I do. Usually I make between 1 1/2 lbs-1 3/4 lbs to fill to top. It is the same when I make handmilled I always have to add 1/2lb more to any wood mold I use. Hope that helps!

pepperi27

Reaction score
no problem bret Ive been playing and making mp for three years now. Still learning and absorbing! I love soap!

Soapmaker Man

Reaction score
Bret said:
I know Paul isn't here at the moment, but I want to pick your brains on this...

I got my 1lb mold yesterday (and it is just way too cute!). I did MP in it last night. I used the liner that came with it, and it leaked a bit. I lost about 1 tbs of soap from the bottom! Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I've never used a mold before. I thought I had the liner in right, but maybe I didn't. DH suggested lining it with wax paper, then the liner...

Good thing is the soap scraped right off, no damage/discolor to the mold.

Also, it is supposed to hold 1 lb oils and 1 oz FO. I did 1 lb mp soap, 1 oz fo, and it was barely half way. Think I can I do 1 1/2 lbs mp? Is it supposed to fill to the top?

The soap did turn out nicely in it, I'll post photos this weekend!
:D :D :D :D I'm home! :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Bret! Make sure the liners are tightly pushed all the way to the bottom on all 4 sides of the TOG Mini Mold. Sometimes, you can have a small "crack" in the liners and not notice it is there.
About the 1 pound thing. I am speaking of 16 ounces of oils are used to make a full batch of Cold Process soap in this mold. With the 16 ounces of oils, lye, water, FO's, you will have closer to 1-1/2 or t tad more soap when finished. Us CP folks say a mold is "16" or "32" or whatever and we are generally referring to just the oils used in the batch to fill the mold. Sorry I did not explain that to you and forgot you only do M&P. :oops:
I'll send out anyone who needs replacement wooden pins new ones in a regular envelope. I'll send you a few new ones Monday, OK?

Thanks guys for everything!

Paul.... :wink:

Latest posts