Question on 1lb TOG mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bret

Reaction score
I know Paul isn't here at the moment, but I want to pick your brains on this...

I got my 1lb mold yesterday (and it is just way too cute!). I did MP in it last night. I used the liner that came with it, and it leaked a bit. I lost about 1 tbs of soap from the bottom! Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I've never used a mold before. I thought I had the liner in right, but maybe I didn't. DH suggested lining it with wax paper, then the liner...

Good thing is the soap scraped right off, no damage/discolor to the mold.

Also, it is supposed to hold 1 lb oils and 1 oz FO. I did 1 lb mp soap, 1 oz fo, and it was barely half way. Think I can I do 1 1/2 lbs mp? Is it supposed to fill to the top?

The soap did turn out nicely in it, I'll post photos this weekend!

He did tell me some people said it leaks about 1 TB or so. try what your husband said and use wax paper first. As far as making MP, I have no clue LOL.. I havent made it in about 5 years.

Yeah, it wasn't a lot. Enough for my husband to yell for me and tell me something was "wrong" :) I actually scraped up what had leaked after it hardened a bit and dropped it back in the top. You can't even tell. I'll have to try the wax paper after I get more soap base.

Well I will definitely tell you that yes do 1 1/2lbs of mp maybe a little more to fill it to the top. I have a 1lb mold from another company and that is what I do. Usually I make between 1 1/2 lbs-1 3/4 lbs to fill to top. It is the same when I make handmilled I always have to add 1/2lb more to any wood mold I use. Hope that helps!

no problem bret Ive been playing and making mp for three years now. Still learning and absorbing! I love soap!

Bret said:
I know Paul isn't here at the moment, but I want to pick your brains on this...

I got my 1lb mold yesterday (and it is just way too cute!). I did MP in it last night. I used the liner that came with it, and it leaked a bit. I lost about 1 tbs of soap from the bottom! Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I've never used a mold before. I thought I had the liner in right, but maybe I didn't. DH suggested lining it with wax paper, then the liner...

Good thing is the soap scraped right off, no damage/discolor to the mold.

Also, it is supposed to hold 1 lb oils and 1 oz FO. I did 1 lb mp soap, 1 oz fo, and it was barely half way. Think I can I do 1 1/2 lbs mp? Is it supposed to fill to the top?

The soap did turn out nicely in it, I'll post photos this weekend!

:D :D :D :D I'm home! :D :D :D :D :D

Hey Bret! Make sure the liners are tightly pushed all the way to the bottom on all 4 sides of the TOG Mini Mold. Sometimes, you can have a small "crack" in the liners and not notice it is there.
About the 1 pound thing. I am speaking of 16 ounces of oils are used to make a full batch of Cold Process soap in this mold. With the 16 ounces of oils, lye, water, FO's, you will have closer to 1-1/2 or t tad more soap when finished. Us CP folks say a mold is "16" or "32" or whatever and we are generally referring to just the oils used in the batch to fill the mold. Sorry I did not explain that to you and forgot you only do M&P. :oops:
I'll send out anyone who needs replacement wooden pins new ones in a regular envelope. I'll send you a few new ones Monday, OK?

Thanks guys for everything!

Paul.... :wink:

Latest posts

Back