Question about gelling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackznanakin

Reaction score
Another newb question that occurred to me so I wanted to ask and I hope my question makes sense.
I have seen molds that look like one large square with 2 dividers in it to make 3 loaves. My question is... If you cover them for gelling, wouldn't the middle get overly hot since it has a loaf on either side heating up? Wouldn't that cause the middle loaf to potentially crack? Asking bc I thought this was something my hubs could easily make for me, but then that thought popped in my head.

I don't think so, but I don't have those.

I would think that it would be fine and no different if the soap all around it was gelling and hot.

I am sure someone has a better answer.

Another newb question that occurred to me so I wanted to ask and I hope my question makes sense.
I have seen molds that look like one large square with 2 dividers in it to make 3 loaves. My question is... If you cover them for gelling, wouldn't the middle get overly hot since it has a loaf on either side heating up? Wouldn't that cause the middle loaf to potentially crack? Asking bc I thought this was something my hubs could easily make for me, but then that thought popped in my head.

I've covered my slab mold in the past, and the middle does get a little bit hotter than the outside, but not so much as to be a problem.

If you CPOP (Cold Process Oven Process), you might get better heat dispersal across the three loaves.

I don't believe that it would be that much of a problem to cover and gel (unless the soap was close to overheating anyway, then the middle would likely go first).

Mine has 4 chambers (so 2 middle chambers). I don't typically have a problem with it. I have, on occasion, had some cracking begin but I just stir it in and it's fine. I do tend to soap on the cooler side - 95-105.

http://cumberlandacoustic.com/product/divided-mold/

TBH I wouldn't recommend this one. Getting the soap out is kind of difficult, especially out of the back chamber.
Wow, what an interesting site. I would never have thought of using a bicycle pump to get soap out of a PVC pipe mold! Interesting.

Good to know that the multi-log mold is difficult for soap removal. I have only one mold made with HDPE plastic and I always line it with freezer paper, which I think defeats the purpose of why they make them out of that material. But for me, I'd rather peel off freezer paper than struggle with soap that won't come out of the mold.

I grease mine REALLY well with mineral oil, and I also put a sheet of quilter's mylar in the bottom. It fits perfectly, maybe just a smidge of trimming. I also use a big nail (as big as a pencil) to leverage out the dividers.

earlene and dixie, have you tried putting your hdpe molds in a 170 degree oven for a few minutes before trying to
remove? This makes mine slide out easily....oh forgot to say I spray with food grade silicone and when I wash I never use detergent.

Yes, I have been putting them in the oven and it does help! I do wash my dividers in the dishwasher, so there is detergent. I have wondered if not washing them might be better, but in my case we have lots of dogs so if the mold is a bit tacky or oily, the hair just sticks to it.

I need to try the mineral oil. simpler then anything else and Much faster to get set up.
Sometimes my freezer paper make crinkles :(

Yes, I have been putting them in the oven and it does help! I do wash my dividers in the dishwasher, so there is detergent. I have wondered if not washing them might be better, but in my case we have lots of dogs so if the mold is a bit tacky or oily, the hair just sticks to it.
I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you did not put them in the dishwasher. I just wash them in the sink with plain water and set them in a dish draining rack to air dry. Yes we have a long haired dog too, but not lots:)

Back