Question About Usage Rates

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all…haven’t posted much in a while but still checking in most days. I have a question that just leaves me scratching my head. 😁 I recently bought some fragrance oils and the IFRA rate for one of them is 10% for soap but 22% for lotion. How does this make sense? A wash off product has a lower usage rate than a leave on product.. Has anyone else ever seen this or have an explanation? Thanks for any input!

That doesn't answer this one though as one doesn't apply soap to freshly cut skin (except for washing wounds, lol, not as a cosmetic) nor is it a leave on product.

I'd like to hear the mfr's explanation in this case since usually soap safety levels are higher than ones given for lotion, not lower.

That doesn't answer this one though as one doesn't apply soap to freshly cut skin (except for washing wounds, lol, not as a cosmetic) nor is it a leave on product.

I'd like to hear the mfr's explanation in this case since usually soap safety levels are higher than ones given for lotion, not lower.
I know. It kind of goes against what makes sense… to me anyway 😂

@Mobjack Bay @paradisi And here is another head scratcher…why is there different IFRA rates for body lotion and hand cream? I’m putting the body lotion on with my hands! The world may never know! 😂😂😂

@Mobjack Bay @paradisi And here is another head scratcher…why is there different IFRA rates for body lotion and hand cream? I’m putting the body lotion on with my hands! The world may never know! 😂😂😂
I think the reasoning on that is total area of skin applied to; using one's hands to apply to the body vs just on the hands. Though that seems slightly mistaken to me as .. aren't they counting hands as body? (Let's see anyone apply body lotion and not on the hands? Hold their hands up out of the bathwater?)

But .. do people really differentiate between body lotion and hand lotion in use? I haven't bought lotion for decades but I don't think I'd have refrained from using them interchangeably .

I’m not saying I understand IFRA reasoning, but I understand DeeAnna’s explanation. If you use soap to shave, then yes, cut skin may be exposed. If you use soap to wash your underarms or nether regions, then, yes, sensitive skin is exposed. Most don’t put lotion on nether regions, but I think IFRA also assumes that hand lotion is more likely to end up on your food or in your mouth compared with body lotion from your leg , etc.

I’m not saying I understand IFRA reasoning, but I understand DeeAnna’s explanation. If you use soap to shave, then yes, cut skin may be exposed. If you use soap to wash your underarms or nether regions, then, yes, sensitive skin is exposed. Most don’t put lotion on nether regions, but I think IFRA also assumes that hand lotion is more likely to end up on your food or in your mouth compared with body lotion from your leg , etc.
Very good point about the hand lotion! When I think about it, I always apply lotion to my freshly shaved legs. Maybe that isn’t a good idea in hindsight. 😱 This is where the higher usage rate for lotions vs soaps with some FO makes me scratch my head.
I love this group and the fact that I am continually learning from you all ♥️

Last edited:
It seems you're missing the point in the original post. The stated level on *this particular fragrance* is twice as high as for that for soap.

And, no, IFRA aren't calculating the level for soap the same as for alcoholic things rubbed on freshly shaven skin, or all the other lotion/soap ratios for fragrance oils would also be flipped.

I've not seen an IFRA sheet that had a lotion level twice as high as for soap.

I'm guessing the levels on that fragrance may be a typo.

I'm constantly finding contradictions between posted levels and downloads and often get "oh yes we need to update that" from suppliers.

It seems you're missing the point in the original post. The stated level on *this particular fragrance* is twice as high as for that for soap.

And, no, IFRA aren't calculating the level for soap the same as for alcoholic things rubbed on freshly shaven skin, or all the other lotion/soap ratios for fragrance oils would also be flipped.

I'm constantly finding contradictions between posted levels and downloads and often get "oh yes we need to update that" from suppliers.
Actually, I contacted the seller as I was confused and she double checked it and said it was right which started me down this rabbit hole. Here is the specs on the FO I bought. I said exactly what you said. Is that a typo? This is a screenshot from a Facebook exchange.

Attachments

• IMG_7557.jpeg
    IMG_7557.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

I'm not missing the point. "the IFRA rate for one of them is 10% for soap but 22% for lotion"

Here are a few other scents that have lower usage rates for soap versus lotion:
https://bescented.com/product/palo-santo-fragrance-oil/https://bescented.com/product/bourbon-butterscotch-fragrance-oil/https://www.brambleberry.com/on/dem...000258_TOBACCO_AND_BAY_LEAF_FRAGRANCE_OIL.pdf
As I recall, the IFRA calculations/models are based on the individual constituents within the FO and routes of exposure. There's no reason to expect that the relationship between safe usage rate for soap versus lotion will be the same from one FO to the next.

Latest posts

Back