Q? On ambiant weather and humidity

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
Aloha! I’m the newbie from Hawaii.
I hope you will give me sage advice on how and if warm (90•) air and high humidity (no air conditioning, just fans) can affect soap—making, gelling, curing. Is there anything needed to compensate???

Aloha! I am in the southeast (deep south), and we can get some terrible humidity and heat.
I notice a little sweating during high heat and humidity days. But, the moisture goes away if I just let them sit.
I know some also see a change in gelling/overheating, but I've never noticed a difference (our A/C is on all summer).

I have noticed that high humidity really affects my soap as it ages....I have fallen victim to DOS over a period of months in high humidity...going to try a dehumidifier and pray a lot, as I dont have ac, which dehumidifies also. It might be worth a shot to have a small ac in the soap room.

Kathymzr, last year I took some salt soap with me when I went to Hawaii to test it out in your humidity. Hawaii's humidity is different than it is here in my part of Illinois.

The resort where we stayed was without AC of any kind, only ceiling fans in some of the rooms. The bathroom, however has no ceiling fan. Because we kept some windows open for air-flow and so we could smell the flowers outside, the humidity was pretty much the same indoors as it was outdoors. And I kept some ceiling fans running while we were in the unit as well. Anyway, the reason I mention all this is so you will get a picture of the actual environment for the soap, although you probably understand this better than anyone who doesn't already spend a lot of time in Hawaii.

The salt soap was made with 100% salt (same weight of salt as weight of oils). The soap was still fairly young and not cured as long as needed for a salt soap, but I wanted to test it out in Hawaii's environment. In fact I intend to do that again in July with the same soap (same batch, but different bar, of course.) I don't know if we will have AC in July or not, though. Probably not.

Even though the soap started out dry and sat on top of a self-draining soap saver, water beaded up and pooled on top of the soap as it sat in the bathroom. I periodically would dry it with a dry cloth and it would repeatedly attract water. It was a very large bathroom and not any more wet than the rest of the unit, so it wasn't due to added shower or bathing moisture, IMO. And it was only one of two bathrooms, so it wasn't even the only one we used.

Here in Illinois with AC, the salt soap never collected water.

So that's something to be aware of when you choose they types of soap recipes you will be making. I supposed high salt content would be out. Also, I think you'd have to avoid any type of humuctant as an ingredient as well. Avoiding adding extra glycerin would be necessary for that reason.

In my case it did not matter what soap it was....most fell prey to DOS over a four--six month period. No high botanicals or salt..

Hello, thank you for your experiences. I will beware. I have a central spot for soap to cure with lots of ventilation, fans that run all the time, and also an A/C unit. The hot season is coming up so a/c is a good idea. I will let you know what happens. K

Kathymzr, last year I took some salt soap with me when I went to Hawaii to test it out in your humidity. Hawaii's humidity is different than it is here in my part of Illinois.

The resort where we stayed was without AC of any kind, only ceiling fans in some of the rooms. The bathroom, however has no ceiling fan. Because we kept some windows open for air-flow and so we could smell the flowers outside, the humidity was pretty much the same indoors as it was outdoors. And I kept some ceiling fans running while we were in the unit as well. Anyway, the reason I mention all this is so you will get a picture of the actual environment for the soap, although you probably understand this better than anyone who doesn't already spend a lot of time in Hawaii.

The salt soap was made with 100% salt (same weight of salt as weight of oils). The soap was still fairly young and not cured as long as needed for a salt soap, but I wanted to test it out in Hawaii's environment. In fact I intend to do that again in July with the same soap (same batch, but different bar, of course.) I don't know if we will have AC in July or not, though. Probably not.

Even though the soap started out dry and sat on top of a self-draining soap saver, water beaded up and pooled on top of the soap as it sat in the bathroom. I periodically would dry it with a dry cloth and it would repeatedly attract water. It was a very large bathroom and not any more wet than the rest of the unit, so it wasn't due to added shower or bathing moisture, IMO. And it was only one of two bathrooms, so it wasn't even the only one we used.

Here in Illinois with AC, the salt soap never collected water.

So that's something to be aware of when you choose they types of soap recipes you will be making. I supposed high salt content would be out. Also, I think you'd have to avoid any type of humuctant as an ingredient as well. Avoiding adding extra glycerin would be necessary for that reason.
Just went to check bars on my curing rack and noticed that my salt bars are sweating.hmm...could be the high Missouri humidity-of course it is! I moved the tray to my prep table and turned on a fan. Hopefully they will dry out. Not the end of the world but just a tad annoying.

Thanks
Just went to check bars on my curing rack and noticed that my salt bars are sweating.hmm...could be the high Missouri humidity-of course it is! I moved the tray to my prep table and turned on a fan. Hopefully they will dry out. Not the end of the world but just a tad annoying.

Thanks Melinda, I agree that any moisture attracting ingredient should be minimal. The weather isn’t terribly hot but the humidity without a breeze is stifling—but then I’m from California! Ha! I think avoiding glycerin overload and fans, curing in an open cool spot will help.

Thanks Melinda, I agree that any moisture attracting ingredient should be minimal. The weather isn’t terribly hot but the humidity without a breeze is stifling—but then I’m from California! Ha! I think avoiding glycerin overload and fans, curing in an open cool spot will help.
I have had the fan on them all evening-dampness is gone-I will run the fan again tomorrow. So much to learn-such an adventure! Don’t you just love it! Thank you,

I had just mentioned somewhere that I try not to soap when it's cooler and rainy here, coz I noticed I don't get the fluidity in hot process I want, compared to when I'm soaping and it's the usual hot n humid here.

Having said that, curing the soap is a pain. You have to deal with sweaty soap, salt crystals reforming on the surface, stickiness and tackiness... The only way around it is constant AC in the room, but I can't afford to pay that much in electricity lol so I make do.

I don't notice much difference in the soaps with humectants, like honey, but more so in my soleseifes or any other soap with a higher than normal quantity of salt.

Hi Kathymzr,

I’m in Hawaii too, and I think the temps do affect our soaping process. I just posted about getting a lot of partial gel when I don’t insulate, and cracking and volcanoes when I do. I’m a beginner too and I’m still trying to figure out the process.

I don’t have any A/C and my soaps stay on a shelf in a room that has a fan. My house usually gets a breeze unless it’s kona winds, and I have yet to see my soap sweat.

Also, I have noticed that a lot of the soaps that I have purchased within the last few months from other soapers locally have a problem with getting DOS faster as well. I’m still trying to figure out how to avoid that as the one that was bad was in a plastic bag and one that had a little bit was wrapped in kraft paper. Maybe we could share hints with each other?

PM me If you’d like to share notes.

Keri

Hi Keri, happy to meet you! I too don’t have AC, just a portable unit saved for “really” hot days. Of course here in Kona it’s a matter of where one lives on the mountain too. I am happy to share thoughts on this!

Another thought! I used to use Olay soap in Calif. and it was fine there. I’m not a spring chicken! Here in Hawaii I just can’t use it! The humidity leaves my skin gummy. That may be a clue about avoiding soft soaps in this climate.

This is really helpful to talk about. I noticed in KTA Grocery that they carry Dial soap in a new “Natural” version. I might have to try it. I’m going to try a harder bar with fewer oils. I see lots of testing in my soaping futur

Eureka! I read a column from Soap Queen about the heat and humidity problem. It is the cure time and conditions to fight. Someone suggested a dehydrating machine. That sounds like a good idea. Also gel can fail because the wrapped soap can overheat. Hmmm.

Eureka! I read a column from Soap Queen about the heat and humidity problem. It is the cure time and conditions to fight. Someone suggested a dehydrating machine. That sounds like a good idea. Also gel can fail because the wrapped soap can overheat. Hmmm.

A dehydrator will not work. It will cause your soaps to warp and may melt some as well.

As for gelling soap you will just need to figure out how much or how little insulation to add fro your specific conditions. Summer here doesn’t require as much insulation but winter needs more. A little trial and error is require until you figure it out.

It gets quite humid here in the summer and sometimes my soaps do sweat a bit. But they dry out fine and I have no issues with DOS generally.

I have used the "moisture eliminator containers" when curing soap in humid weather. I place a container in a small bin with my freshly cut bars, staggered with lots of space in between, surrounding the moisture eliminator. Pulls a lot of moisture out. I take the bars out of the bin after 4 to 6 weeks of cure. So far so good. As much as 9 months later no issues. No DOS, no crumbling. I would NOT use the moisture eliminator with charcoal as it would most likely zap away your fragrance!

Latest posts

Back