Q about soap and pipes/plumbing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffmuffin

Reaction score
Ok soapers, I'm new to this art and love it so far (of course)! I'm gradually getting homemade soap into each shower and sink area in my home.

My question is: over time does handmade soap create any more drainage problems in your pipes when compared with commercial soap? What has been your experience with this? Thanks in advance!

I can only speak of my personal experience. I have been using handmade soap for 5 years now and have not had any issues. My parents have been using with their septic system and a water softener wit no issue either.

Hopefully I haven't just jinxed us.:)

I have no additional issues since starting to use it a couple of years ago. I now use hand made soap for bathing, laundry, and dishes. No new problems.

I'm also on a septic system and have used nothing but handmade soap for years/years with no problems until last year when there was a back-up. I fortunately caught it the minute it started in the basement (cause I was there making soap of course). When the plumber opened the pipe going into the tank he said there was a 6" thick fatty white substance right under the access cap and he had never seen anything like it. I am super careful not to let any oily stuff go down my drains while making soap so I'm also wondering if it might be the soap itself. How about throwing some lye down the drain once in a while--after all it is a "drain" cleaner? Are there any plumbing/septic experts who could address this?

I have had problems with my bathtub getting a little backed up. I am on a city water line, but I think that it is the soap because it is at the very 5%oils going down the drain, but We do just dump a little lye in there when it starts draining slow and it works fine for a few months.

I've had no problems at all....nobody should I wouldn't think, since soap is no longer oil and lye..but soap {technically 'salt'}

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it's the same as with anything...some people have good luck, some have bad luck!! My husband is a total worrier about pipe trouble and it was his idea to check in on this forum. I guess I'll just keep on with my soap and see what happens!

We haven't had any problems with soap. We have had problems with "flushable" Wet Wipes. Our plumper said to flush NOTHING but TP, b/c even if they say "flushable" tampons, wet wipes, etc really arent', espeically if you have a house with older plumbing.

Also, if you have septic, pour your sour milk down the drain. It's like yogurt for your septic tank.

Lye is harsh stuff. Get washing soda (laundry section at Walmart) and run some if it and some white vinegar down the drain once a month or so. Lye is awesome when you have a clog (much better than Draino, I think), but it's so harsh that I wouldnt' use it for preventative purposes.

Back