PVC PIpes and Swirls

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badger

Reaction score
I have been looking online for various ways of using the pvc pipes that I just bought as soap molds. I will make my first batch be pretty basic, but I want to be able to do more and scheme and plot ideas while I am impatiently waiting to get the rest of my stuff ;-)

That said, I have not found many any videos on different swirl patterns or anything that can be done using a pvc pipe. I have found some directions for a faux funnel swirl on Soap Queen, and I am plotting ideas with that. What I would like to know if anyone has links to any videos or tutorials on using pvc to make more decorative soaps?

Thank you all again for putting up with all my questions and such :)

you could do an in the pot swirl, which is dropping spots of color in your pour pitcher and very slightly mixing it with your main color, and letting the actual pour of the pitcher make the swirl.

I've make a funnelswirl, and I give it an extra swirl with a long wooden stick. I use 3 colors...

7ee9380c-62f0-4174-9dc3-95b102f33f54_zpsc3093a01.jpg

Selma

Mel, I saw a video on the in the pot swirl, but was not sure how it would work on the pvc pipe. I am willing to try it I think it might work well with the Twilight Woods soap I am planning.

Selma, your soap is lovely. I might try that when I graduate to more then two colors... right now I have not done a single CP batch, so I am just plotting what I plan to do when my supplies arrive.

I worry about ItP with PVC. Depending on the height of hte cylinder, I fear the pour will cause a lot of mixing in the process. If you go that route, I'd get a medium trace before pouring, but that's just me. The funnel pour into the cylinder is an easy technique so long as you start it at an early trace. The time it takes to mix your colors and alternte the pours will give it time to thicken up quite a bit as you go. Ovbiously, the lower them oil/lye temps when you mix, the more time you'll give yourself.

Also, one of the great things about pvc is you can make small batches and still get full-size bars...just fewer of them; whereas with a loaf or slab mold, if you reduce the recipe you get weird sizes of bars. (Does that make sense to anyone besides me?)

This is part of why I love my PVC molds. I still get a good approximation of what a full batch will look like even if I only make a batch with one pound of oils.

(and now that they have been used several times, the soap really does come right out with a bit of effort. Using mineral oil has been key for that though.)

For testing new recipes to see how they will perform in full-size bars, the PVC is perfect. I haven't tried mineral oil yet. Next time I will. I also want to experiment more with inserting tubes into the pvc for pouring/mixing, and I still think there is a way to rotate the cylinder while pouring two colors that would make a cool effect. So much soap...so little time!

you could do an in the pot swirl, which is dropping spots of color in your pour pitcher and very slightly mixing it with your main color, and letting the actual pour of the pitcher make the swirl.
Yup, I do that all the time!

The last time I made shampoo bars I did an ITP swirl and poured it into PVC (not oiled, not lined, bare naked PVC). I'll try to post a pic later - I like the way they turned out. I've also wanted to do something like DW is talking about - rotating the PVC. If I can talk my son into being the rotator, I'm going to try this next time. I would be limited to 2 colors unless I can recruit someone else to pour at the same time, then I could do 4 colors! Hmmm.....

Yeah, I realized I have a technical difficulty with my PVC Pipe. I don't have a way to hold it up while I pour unless I borrow my partner to help... I can probably look around the house and figure out some way to jury-rig something to stand it in.

Yeah, I realized I have a technical difficulty with my PVC Pipe. I don't have a way to hold it up while I pour unless I borrow my partner to help... I can probably look around the house and figure out some way to jury-rig something to stand it in.

I got an empty wine box from the grocery store. You can put up to nine 3" PVC pipes in there to hold steady while pouring and then leave them in there for insulation for gelling. Just cover with a towel over the top.

Back