Pumpkin Puree

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerbalEarthling

Reaction score
Has anyone ever made a pumpkin soap with pumpkin puree? I don't use fragrance oils in any of my products only essential oils. Does the natural scent of pumpkin from the puree come through? I'm def going to add some spicy essential oils too. Thanks in advance!

I make all my pumpkin soap with puree of fresh pumpkin. If used in the lye mix it will turn brown. If added at trace it keeps its lovely color. The scent doesn't remain. I cut a sugar pumpkin in half, put the halves cut-side down in a lasagna pan in about an inch of water, and bake at 250 until tender. Easy peasy to scoop out and puree in the blender.

Awesome thanks! Good to know about the lye turning it brown and even though that makes sense, I wouldn't have thought of that haha! Also, I don't think I've ever made pumpkin puree so this would be fun to try! I want so badly to make soap with fragrance oils but I need to stay true to my mission of an Herbal Earthling. I definitely don't frown upon people that use them though. I just did some research and never realized how expensive ginger eo is. Bummer! Oh well I'll do what I can for now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Soap Making mobile app

Just keep an eye on your soap because the puree will cause it to heat up in the mold. Check for signs of overheating. Or you could put it in the refrigerator or freezer after pouring.

Ginger EO is expensive - you want the fresh or CO2 kind if you decide to splurge. The kind made from dried ginger smells like dirty socks.

A hint of cinnamon and clove EO (go sparingly, they can irritate) is lovely. The pumpkin smell doesn't survive saponification IME.

I make a couple of different recipes using pumpkin puree. One I use Turmeric essential oil with and the resulting soap doesn't brown. The soap doesn't smell very strongly of pumpkin puree but it does have an earthy scent that sticks for awhile at least.

Thanks everyone! Lots to consider. I've been making soap now for over a year but I'm always learning!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Soap Making mobile app

I recently made a pumpkin soap and wanted to share my method.
I used the default water content on Soap Calc at 38% but made the following changes:
For half of the water content, I used a strong tea made with Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea. This tea was made with 8 oz of distilled water and 3 tea bags steeped for about 3 hours and then refrigerated. The Lye was dissolved in the cold tea.

Please note that this makes a strong lye solution at less than 2:1 water:lye solution.

I then continued to make soap as usual and at trace added the pureed, canned pumpkin (amount equaled the other half of the water content).

The soap gelled on its own.

The soap turned out beautifully. It has a nice pumpkin pie color and scent due to the strongly brewed spice tea. I am a big fan! I like this because I didn't spend a fortune on EOs which is what I would have used rather than using FOs. I also didn't add spices which would have added texture to the bar.The three tea bags cost less than a dollar!

The ingredients for the tea are:
Cinnamon, Roasted Chicory, Roasted Carob, Natural Spice and Vanilla Flavors with other natural flavors, Ginger, Cardamom, Black Pepper, Cloves and Nutmeg.

The soap is about 10 days old now and still smells really nice. Since this soap was made with a high liquid (tea and pumpkin) content, it will need a little more time to harden.

By the way, this is my favorite fall tea for drinking and that is why I had it to begin with!

_MG_7550.jpg

I recently made a pumpkin soap and wanted to share my method.
I used the default water content on Soap Calc at 38% but made the following changes:
For half of the water content, I used a strong tea made with Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice Tea. This tea was made with 8 oz of distilled water and 3 tea bags steeped for about 3 hours and then refrigerated. The Lye was dissolved in the cold tea.

Please note that this makes a strong lye solution at less than 2:1 water:lye solution.

I then continued to make soap as usual and at trace added the pureed, canned pumpkin (amount equaled the other half of the water content).

The soap gelled on its own.

The soap turned out beautifully. It has a nice pumpkin pie color and scent due to the strongly brewed spice tea. I am a big fan! I like this because I didn't spend a fortune on EOs which is what I would have used rather than using FOs. I also didn't add spices which would have added texture to the bar.The three tea bags cost less than a dollar!

The ingredients for the tea are:
Cinnamon, Roasted Chicory, Roasted Carob, Natural Spice and Vanilla Flavors with other natural flavors, Ginger, Cardamom, Black Pepper, Cloves and Nutmeg.

The soap is about 10 days old now and still smells really nice. Since this soap was made with a high liquid (tea and pumpkin) content, it will need a little more time to harden.

By the way, this is my favorite fall tea for drinking and that is why I had it to begin with!

This soap sounds amazing! I'm definitely going to try this! I might have to send away for some of this tea. I've never seen it around here. It's funny though my husbamd amd I just had our anniversary amd took a trip out to Colorado and went to the Celestial Seasonings factory (which is the only one in existence) and in the gift shop I saw that tea. I almost got a box of it but I didn't for whatever reason. By the way, that place is amazing! It was kinda a drive from Denver but totally worth it. Thanks ahain for sharing this!

That's sounds like a really neat trip. I'll bet it smelled amazing in the factory. Bengal Spice is a seasonal tea around here. The stores are just getting it in stock!

That's sounds like a really neat trip. I'll bet it smelled amazing in the factory. Bengal Spice is a seasonal tea around here. The stores are just getting it in stock!

That was our first reaction, how it smelled. Like heaven! They have a mint room where they store the peppermint by itself because if not everything else will smell like peppermint. They keep it closed off but open it up for the tour and let everyone stand in there. I was able to stay in there for the entire like 10 mins the tour guide was talking about the mint. My husband wussed out. It really was super potent! Like every pore in your body opens up!

Here is a picture of my pumpkin soaps. I made these hot process method and added raw honey along with the canned pumpkin purée. I also added oatmeal. I did use FO because the pumpkin scent is gone from the purée. I have made them cp as well.ImageUploadedBySoap Making1380133055.905156.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

Beautiful color and soap, ocean_soul! Mine faded a bit over time - does yours?

I know this thread might be more appropriate in the Photo Gallery, but since there are so many different variations on the color, depending on what stage you mix it into, and the fact that canned vs. fresh yields very different colors, I like it here :)

Last edited:
Thanks! I've only hot processed this recipe before and that batches color never faded. I think the bright orange turmeric essential oil helps to maintain the color.

Back