Pumice question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Searching for pumice for a mechanic's soap using Bamagirl's recipe. Never having used pumice before I hesitate to order without more info. I've found several but the recipe calls for fine and I wonder if that is 4F or 3F? 4F to me seems to be extra fine and I haven't found a 3F designation anywhere. I intend to distribute this to a few bicycle mechanics I know to see how they like it.

I use pumice from NDA (down side, you need a $100 min order - upside, you can get a lot of stuff for that $100). They don't rate it as 3F or 4F, but maybe you can find out mesh size and compare. NDA's is Mesh Size: 149 to 420 μm particles.

I got mine from WSP. They have two types, regular and extra fine. I don't like the extra fine though. Bought that by accident last time and not scrubby enough. Husband didn't like it either. And it's on sale for 1.27 lb.

I use extra fine and prefer it, but then I find most scrubby stuff to scrubby for me, so that could be a factor. This is what I buy using Amazon: (link) If you read the answers and the reviews, it may give you an idea of grain size, although nowhere could I find and actual size defined.

I use it in the blacksmith soap I make for my brother. My husband also uses it after working on our cars and a friend of his with whom he works, who is also a blacksmith uses it and also likes it better than lava. So I think the very fine works quite well. Remember that finer sandpaper has finer grains than courser sandpaper. So if you think of which you would prefer scouring your skin with, that might help you choose grain size.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use wsp extra fine and like it quite well. Its gentle enough to use in body soap. If I was making a hand soap, I would just use a whole lot more.
Maybe order both from wsp and see which you prefer or even mix them for a custom scrubbiness.

I like NDA but not buying enough to overcome the $20 admin fee. WSP price was good but they added a handling charge of $5 to almost $9 shipping. Bulk Apothecary was the winner even with a higher price because I was able to add other items I needed without increasing shipping cost. I looked at Amazon but preferred the greater info given at other sites since this was a first time use.
My lesson here is have more discipline, make a list and order all at once. When I decide to make something I want to do it NOW. Not always good. This could lead to becoming not only a soap hoarder (bordering now) but also a soaping ingredients hoarder! What fun!
Thanks for the help.

Searching for pumice for a mechanic's soap using Bamagirl's recipe. Never having used pumice before I hesitate to order without more info. I've found several but the recipe calls for fine and I wonder if that is 4F or 3F? 4F to me seems to be extra fine and I haven't found a 3F designation anywhere. I intend to distribute this to a few bicycle mechanics I know to see how they like it.

Is the Bamagirl's recipe you use the one with kerosene?

Back