Propolis Soap ? Calling all beekeepers !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadameC

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm playing around with CP formulas containing propolis alcohol extract. Anyone have experience with this ? I'm wondering how much I could used per kg of oils without entering problems with the alcohol content or the propolis itself !! I would probably also add honey and beeswax so also wondering if propolis heats up or accelerates trace?
Kind regards !

Hello all,
I'm playing around with CP formulas containing propolis alcohol extract. Anyone have experience with this ? I'm wondering how much I could used per kg of oils without entering problems with the alcohol content or the propolis itself !! I would probably also add honey and beeswax so also wondering if propolis heats up or accelerates trace?
Kind regards !
I use propolis in many lotions and salves but you will run into some problems using it in CP soap because of the alcohol and the nature of propolis.

You will more than likely end up with clumps or specks as the propolis and alcohol separates. Also the propolis will not give your soap any added benefit from the propolis because it is washed off to quickly and the lye will probably destroy any of the active ingredients in propolis.

Hmmmmm Thanks Todd. I have used it in powder form and yes, it had lots of specks but was wondering if anyone had tried it in its extract form. I

I wouldn't use it if it contains alcohol. It will give you problems with the soap and can seize it. I have used propolis infused in oil then strained just because I had it. Mine gave a lovely pale yellow to my soap but eventually faded. I wasn't using it for any properties in the soap but wanted to test it out.

Hmmmmm Thanks Todd. I have used it in powder form and yes, it had lots of specks but was wondering if anyone had tried it in its extract form. I
Since propolis is not cheap, even if you gather it yourself, I would not waste it on soap. I make a salve with mine that people really like.

I have a customer who is a beekeeper that wants me to make a soap with it, so its not for me and they seem to have alot of propolis !

I wouldn't use it if it contains alcohol. It will give you problems with the soap and can seize it. I have used propolis infused in oil then strained just because I had it. Mine gave a lovely pale yellow to my soap but eventually faded. I wasn't using it for any properties in the soap but wanted to test it out.
Thank you ! Infused in oil is a good idea !

Thank you ! Infused in oil is a good idea !
Infused oil will make it usable for CP soap making. I would recommend "high oleic safflower or sunflower oil" for the infusion. Also if you are giving it away or selling, you need to make sure that it's labeled properly. In case someone is allergic to bee products. I would stay away from making any medical claims too. The FDA requires approved testing of products before you can say that your product has any kind of medical value. I added this just in case you didn't already know it.

Infused oil will make it usable for CP soap making. I would recommend "high oleic safflower or sunflower oil" for the infusion. Also if you are giving it away or selling, you need to make sure that it's labeled properly. In case someone is allergic to bee products. I would stay away from making any medical claims too. The FDA requires approved testing of products before you can say that your product has any kind of medical value. I added this just in case you didn't already know it.
Thank you again ! Will check into the infused oil !

No problem !!! It's my client that will deal with the regulations and they already sell loads of cosmetics products. I have my own company as well. I think you are a bit lighter on the regulations in the states than here in europe ? Maybe ?

No problem !!! It's my client that will deal with the regulations and they already sell loads of cosmetics products. I have my own company as well. I think you are a bit lighter on the regulations in the states than here in europe ? Maybe ?
I'm leaning towards definitely, from what I have gathered.

We are lighter on almost all regulations in the United States except pigments and colors. The EU allows for the use of some colors for nail polish that the US does not.

Latest posts

Back