Proofing Olive Oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiti Williams

Crazy Crafter and Neighborhood Nut!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Many soap receipts call for Olive Oil, but how do you know your Olive Oil is the real stuff? Yes, there are some fabulous fakes out there. I have found that the true Olive Oils will "ice up" when placed in the Fridge. That is to say, it will become cloudy and a very firm gel. I proof one or two bottles whenever I buy a new set of Olive Oil. Here is what it looks like.
20190710_111950.jpg

Unfortunately, the fridge test is not a sure-fire thing for at least 2 reasons: 1) If 100% extra virgin OO is winterized, i.e., chilled and filtered (something that producers will sometimes do in order to keep it from going solid on cellar shelves in the winter), it will remain fluid/pourable even though stored in the fridge and only go slightly solid if stored in the freezer. 2) Fake OO can be cut with lesser-grade oils that thicken and become cloudy upon refrigeration.

IrishLass :)

Unfortunately, the fridge test is not a sure-fire thing for at least 2 reasons: 1) If 100% extra virgin OO is winterized, i.e., chilled and filtered (something that producers will sometimes do in order to keep it from going solid on cellar shelves in the winter), it will remain fluid/pourable even though stored in the fridge and only go slightly solid if stored in the freezer. 2) Fake OO can be cut with lesser-grade oils that thicken and become cloudy upon refrigeration.

IrishLass :)

So I was scolded for on one of my other forums. There are a lot of fakes out there, though.

Latest posts

Back